How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 07:32 AM

Default EQ and dynamics panels on D-command

Hi all

I tried out the d-command at the local rep but I was somehow disappointed how some of the plugins show up on the dedicated panel. If you insert a 3 band EQ like the URS neve Eq you have to swap pages to reach the mid band, wierd!!! The same goes for the LA-2, eventhough you onle have to parameters to adjust you have to swap pages. Is there any way to change the way how plugins appear in the panels??

Otherwise I am very impressed with it, could kill for the custom faders.

Regards / Mikael
Old 08-08-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: EQ and dynamics panels on D-command

how plugs map is mostly up to the plugs maker

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-08-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: EQ and dynamics panels on D-command *DELETED*

Post deleted by Craig F

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-10-2005, 07:04 AM

Yes but the way the panels are configured the first page on the EQ contains LF LMF HMF an HF.
On for example URS neve EQ the 3 bands are LF MF and HF. Due to the layout and paging of the panels you have to switch page to change the MidFrequency.
The same goes for the LA2,LA3 emulators. Page one got Treshold and page two have output.
And with a plug with only two parameters you still have to change page.

Maybe there could be a editor of some sort where you could change the ay the plugs show on the panels.

Cheers
Old 08-12-2005, 01:13 AM

You can flip the paramaters onto the faders. Woudln't help your EQ issue much, but the 2A/3A controls would be on the same bank. Or should be.

Also, when every plugin is mapped the same, threshold on page one, make up gain on page two, on the same pot, you get used to hitting thbe page button to flip between the two controls.

I think the EQ is mapped that way because not all EQ plug-ins are 5 band. goin LF, LMF, HMF, HF mean that a 4 band EQ will map straight across the EQ section. Filters and MF are on the 2nd page.

It does seem a little dumb to have a 2 control plugin over 2 pages though.....I can garuntee that someone would complain if they were on the same page and didn't match the control layout on the board.....

Iain
Old 08-21-2005, 05:25 PM

It's stupid, I'm sorry. Dcommand has less knobs to keep the price down, but that doesn't mean it should be implemented badly. If plugin makers have to design another profile for the Dcommand, fine. 30 grand is still 30 grand, and Digi should make an effort to get this cleaned up. It totally soils the workflow. Another deal killer for me. Just got my Pro Control fader pack off ebay.

And by the way, flipping to the faders totally defeats the purpose of having dedicated EQ and DYN panels in the first place, so that's not an option.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:35 AM

If you look at the EQ panel, it's laid out so that you have four-band parametric EQ (Low, Low Mid, High Mid, High) on one page and then the filters and the 5th band of EQ (Mid) on the other page. This works really well on all your basic EQs: EQ III, Massenburg, Sony Oxford, McDSP etc etc. URS only has LF, HF and MF which is why the layout looks a bit funky: talk to URS about moving it, it's hardly the fault of D-Command. Besides, once you've used a D-Command in anger, you don't even think about paging, it's not a big deal.

As far as LA-2A is concerned, again it's a quirk of the compressor that the threshold is fixed so you use input to change compression: the D-command Dynamics section is optimized for a conventional compressor layout so threshold, gain, attack, release etc are all on one page. On the LA-2A, input/output are on one page, attack/release are on another, not a big deal.

Yes, there are compromises, but you compare plug-in editing between Pro Control and D-Command and there is absolutely no comparison...