How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Reverb Recommendation Needed!

New PTLE user here...

I recently bit the bullet and upgraded from Cubase SX on Windows Virus...I mean Vista (sry...=P) to PTLE 7.3 on an OS 10.4.9 box. Been recording 4-16 part TTBB Mens Acapella stuff for about 10 years, but my favorite reverb, a little obscure gem called "Ambience" by Magnus Jonsson (http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/) isn't available in RTAS format.

I need a new reverb - the best one that I can find. I have always used my reverb for real-time monitoring in addition to mixing and mastering - as the pieces that I produce are overdubbed one track at a time. The effect of the reverb takes the edge off of laying solo vocal tracks. I have fallen head over heels for PTLE, but trying to get the job done without a good verb is painful to say the least...

Any recommendation for an excellent software or hardware reverb plugin (price is irrelavent) that has, most importantly, the analog warmth we all love, would be VERY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Joviyan
Old 11-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Reverb Recommendation Needed!

HI,

the best is Sony Oxford Reverb, IMHO.

even beats Altiverb by a nuance.

if you want hardware the get a $12000 lexicon or so it won´t get any better

regs
Old 11-24-2007, 12:57 PM

Awesome - i'll check that out asap

Thanks again,

Jov
Old 11-24-2007, 04:13 PM

You could of course get the VST to RTAS adapter from FXpansion.

Thats if you would really prefer to use the reverb you mentioned.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:08 PM

I have been having GREAT success with Masterverb 5 from Wavearts (www.wavearts.com). You have adjustments for every imaginable parameter and it's not a resource hog.

To run on LE you'd have to use the FXpansion adapter, but the plate and room reverbs from Princeton Digital seem to be highly respected as well. (www.princetondigital.com) Haven't tried these. Yet.

I also really liked the reverbs from Sonic Timeworks when I was running SAW Pro. (www.sonictimeworks.com)
Old 11-24-2007, 06:59 PM

There are several reasonably priced plugins that work well. Waves bundles with Rverb and TrueVerb are decent but a little odd to edit. IK Classik verbs are also very useable and can run under a sinple editing format or you can dig deeper if you need it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-24-2007, 10:05 PM

I cast a vote for the Waves IRx. I haven't had much experience with Altiverb or the others listed, have minimally used TL Space... but IRx holds it own rather well and comes with a ton of pre-made responses. When push comes to shove, it's really saved some delivered ADR I wasn't expecting would be able to sit into the mix very well.

Overall, the best option would go for a convolution reverb (like IRx or Altiverb or TL Space). Some plugins such as RVerb and True Verb use algorithms to create reverberation; in the real world, phasing issues do occur and give a distinctive timbre to reverberation, say, between a church or a car interior, that many of these mathematically precise plugins cannot easily emulate. Convolution reverbs use a captured response (generally a tone, pink noise, and/or soe sort of frequency sweep), and capture near exact characteristics of a setting, including its phase issues.

It really depends on what your needs are. For film, convolution is the new digital trend. For music, algorithm-based plugins may for better for a more fully rounded, even timbre.

Oh, and speaking of convolution, look up Speakerphone by AudioEase. A very creative and mind blowing way of using impulse responses for futzing purposes!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:14 PM

Wow - thanks all for the overwhelming response! I feel much more equipped to make a good choice....wish me luck

Cheers and thanks again:)

Jov
Old 11-27-2007, 04:34 PM

For a hardware reverb unit, I'd recommend this. Used it on a recent project (a beta unit.... the final production one has to be even better)... simply unbelievable. Pricey, but absolutely worth it.

Best

Nathan Lowe
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 PM

I found this post helpful too. I have been looking for an improvement on the standard Digi reverbs. Can anyone tell me the absolute minimum get an improvement over D-verb? I lean towards hardware but I'd consider software.

Thanks

Dave