Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-25-2000, 12:15 AM

Default anyone using a marshall mic?

hi all...

I'm looking to put together a home studio primarily for v/o work and some more in depth multitracking at times...was recommended the Marshall MXL 2001-P mic...
is anyone currently running with this? any tips, reviews, advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
skid

p.s. - really really waiting to find out if Digi001 for WIN is coming out soon so I can buy my computer!!!
Old 05-25-2000, 08:55 AM

Default Re: anyone using a marshall mic?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by skid:
hi all...

I'm looking to put together a home studio primarily for v/o work and some more in depth multitracking at times...was recommended the Marshall MXL 2001-P mic...
is anyone currently running with this? any tips, reviews, advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
skid

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been a supporter of the Marshall MXL 2001P for the last few months. But whenever I post a positive opinion of the mic, I am met with pretty negative reactions.

I bought it last year for use as a second mic
in my voiceover studio. Anyone who cuts v-o's at my place uses the Marshall. (I use an Audio-Technica 4050.)

The Marshall sounds great on conversational commercials or narrations. I would hesitate to use it on screaming v-o's like car spots, because it doesn't have a pad like more expensive condensers (thus the reason I use the A-T.)

I am recorded regularly using a Marshall 2001P at an outside studio as well. Great sound.

Unless this mic is produced with incredibly inconsistent results and I just happened to luck into a good one, I can't figure out the violent reaction to it. Remember, it's a sub-$200 mic, not a Neaumann.

You may also want to go into the archives of Pro Audio Review magazine and read their opinion. It's impressive.

Jim Barton www.bartonvoice.com
Old 05-26-2000, 12:13 AM

Default Re: anyone using a marshall mic?

I use a marshall all the time. I am on a budget at it seemed like the right mic at the right price. My opinion is that it sounds best on female vocals and pretty good on male vocals as long as they are not screamers. A cheap mic that is good for those loud huys is a c3000.(i borrow my friends when-ever i get a screamer) But all in all the marshall sounds pretty good. It is great for v/o work. It sounds pretty good on acoustic guitar as well. Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for. It sounds like a cheap large diaphram condensor.(sp?) I like it better than the nt1 but that is just my opinion. Hope this helps!! Later, steve o.