Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 03-18-2015, 04:30 AM

Default Transfer iLok license to computer(s)?

Hello,

I'm an old Avid customer but it's my first time posting here. I currently have PT9 but I'll be crossgrading to PT11 in a few days, so I have a question.

Is it possible to transfer my iLok's PT9 (or PT11) license to my 2 computers? Currently, my iLok License Manager doesn't have my MBP and iMac as Valid Locations. I've searched the forums before asking and some people have managed to do so, but no one explains how. Carrying my iLok around with me is such a hassle and a liability, I just want to keep it someplace safe, in case of an emergency.

Thanks everyone ~
Yiannis
Old 03-18-2015, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Transfer iLok license to computer(s)?

No
Old 03-18-2015, 07:52 AM

Although you're probably right, I'll just wait to see whether anybody knows otherwise or a workaround of sorts. Thank you.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusNovus View Post
Although you're probably right, I'll just wait to see whether anybody knows otherwise or a workaround of sorts. Thank you.
Sorry, Pro Tools is currently "ilok only". One authorization per license.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusNovus View Post
Is it possible to transfer my iLok's PT9 (or PT11) license to my 2 computers? ... Carrying my iLok around with me is such a hassle and a liability, I just want to keep it someplace safe, in case of an emergency.
Welcome to the community.

They are correct (licenses must be Activated to an iLok). You might want to look into Zero Downtime with Theft & Loss Coverage - you'd still need to bring your iLok with you but if it got lost or stolen you'd be back up and running quickly with another iLok.

Regards,
JC
Old 03-18-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Welcome to the community.

They are correct (licenses must be Activated to an iLok). You might want to look into Zero Downtime with Theft & Loss Coverage - you'd still need to bring your iLok with you but if it got lost or stolen you'd be back up and running quickly with another iLok.

Regards,
JC
Oh, I understand... How unfortunate. I've had a friend from college who managed to store his legally purchased PT license from his iLok to his HDD. it must have been a nifty workaround, but it would have been nice if it could be done in an official and accessible way. Thank you for your response.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 AM

cannot transfer to pc
Old 03-19-2015, 01:36 AM

You are about to do what I did at the end of December... upgrade from pt9 to pt11.

I hate to winge about trivialities and I see a lot of that on this forum. This post is more than that. My experience has been filled with problems and resulting stress. Not once have I had a working pt11 in the three months I've had it.

Why do you want to upgrade? If pt9 is working for you stay with it. Wish I had, because there's no way back to pt9 once you make the leap. PT10 is supposed to bridge the gap and it does to a great extent, but you've shelled out 199 US for the privilege of standing still ... well I have.

Take a look round the forum. I'm not the only one. I Deeply regret falling into the 64bit blah blah nonsense. It has given me only problems and put me in the position of having to shell out more cash to Waves to upgrade my plugins in order to use them if I finally get a working 64bit program I won't go into the ilok problems I've also had

Sorry Avid but pt11 should carry a mental health warning.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:40 AM

BTW. I meant to say how great the moderators are on the site. They really do try to help with problems. Thank you guys
Old 03-22-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattytoldhatty View Post
You are about to do what I did at the end of December... upgrade from pt9 to pt11.

I hate to winge about trivialities and I see a lot of that on this forum. This post is more than that. My experience has been filled with problems and resulting stress. Not once have I had a working pt11 in the three months I've had it.

Why do you want to upgrade? If pt9 is working for you stay with it. Wish I had, because there's no way back to pt9 once you make the leap. PT10 is supposed to bridge the gap and it does to a great extent, but you've shelled out 199 US for the privilege of standing still ... well I have.

Take a look round the forum. I'm not the only one. I Deeply regret falling into the 64bit blah blah nonsense. It has given me only problems and put me in the position of having to shell out more cash to Waves to upgrade my plugins in order to use them if I finally get a working 64bit program I won't go into the ilok problems I've also had

Sorry Avid but pt11 should carry a mental health warning.
Oh, is that so? Hmm, that's very interesting. I've read similar testimonies here and there, but I thought they might have been new to the whole PT experience. But I am starting to see your point.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the AAX transition, as much as I would mind the more notorious & dangerous DAE errors and most people that wrote reviews for PT11 had some terrible experiences so far, like corrupted PT sessions etc. It's just that I formatted both of my work computers and wanted to start over with a clean slate with new upgraded software, but if the majority suggests PT11 is a risky transition for the moment, it's something to take into consideration, especially now that the iLok site is down. (thus having not been able to purchase the PT11 upgrade since yesterday)

EDIT: The iLok site literally just came back. Damn it life, what kind of lesson are you trying to teach me here??