Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 01-25-2015, 12:16 PM

Default I have PT11HD. Where do I stand (license wise)?

Am I missing something? The license page doesn't list an option for those of us who are CURRENT PT11HD owners (I purchased a full system in June 2013). What are my options if I don't plan on abandoning Pro Tools, BUT don't need PT12 functionality at this point? What if I wait a year to upgrade?

How will they treat people who let their agreement lapse for extended periods? Are we going to see a "WUPish" fiasco where they expected users to pay almost as much as their original purchase price just to renew a license (before WAVEs adjusted to a limit on WUP cost)?

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 01-25-2015, 01:28 PM

Default Re: I have PT11HD. Where do I stand (license wise)?

There is some discussion about this already.

As of now, here's how it works:

Those not on a support plan must get on one by the end of the year. The price is $599 for HD users, even those on 11.

If you don't get on a support plan, or get on one and let it lapse later, then your license will continue to work, but be stuck on that version (whatever it was when you lapsed).

After that, your license is not upgradeable at all. You then have 2 choices - get on a rental/subscription plan, or buy a new HD system that comes with a new perpetual license (and then you face all the same issues if you let that lapse).

Also note that if you upgrade to a support plan, you can not transfer your license to someone else, even if you sell it with the card it came with.

If this sounds evil, it is.

Hopefully they will change this, as they are finalizing policy.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:08 PM

This is just... wrong. Let me get this straight...

If your support subscription expires (or if, in any case, you refuse to pony up the extra 600 by the end of 2015), you must buy a NEW HD SYSTEM WITH HARDWARE just to get an HD software upgrade?! The fact that the currently known PT12 features are so minor makes it insulting.

To my knowledge, there is no way to buy a perpetual PTHD license standalone, correct?

So those of us who think HD11 is enough for now, and maybe want to wait until PT13, will be S.O.L.? Either DOWNGRADE by buying a NEW PT Native license and lose major features because we thought PT12 wasn't attractive enough, or buy completely new HDX hardware?

This is no way to treat customers, much less the loyal ones.
Including PT12, 3 out of the last 4 versions of Pro Tools have been "crossgrades" and have thus had extra costs for many users. Now we are moving onward to a "pay forever or lose HD features" model.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong about the way this works. It's maddening to think that current HD11 users will be left behind forever for refusing to pay full upgrade price yearly for future potential upgrades (and for what is presently a marginal upgrade- one that, I would argue, is targeted largely at bedroom music producers, and not HD users- useless for many like myself).

Of course, all of this madness will be null if Avid clarifies this conundrum and provides a path upward without the burden of new hardware; and, to be fair, the FAQ does say there will be more info soon.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
After that, your license is not upgradeable at all. You then have 2 choices - get on a rental/subscription plan, or buy a new HD system that comes with a new perpetual license (and then you face all the same issues if you let that lapse).
I sure wish someone from AVID would confirm or deny this. He's saying that after ONE year my $4000+ (completely up-to-date) PT HD system becomes UN-UPGRADEABLE and I would have to PURCHASE ANOTHER WHOLE SYSTEM TO GET THE LATEST PTs version? Or get treated like a NEW USER and start RENTING the latest version?

Seems inconceivable.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 01-26-2015, 06:15 AM

Bump for AVID response.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 AM

Tim, I got my information from the Protools licensing FAQ on the Avid website, found here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...icensing-FAQ#3

I will quote the relevant parts:

Q. Will my Pro Tools perpetual license stop working at the end of the one-year upgrade and support plan period?
A. No, you can continue to use Pro Tools if you allow your upgrade and support plan to expire. However, if you want to continue receiving updates with new features, you will need to renew your plan before it expires or switch to a subscription. Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD owners will have through the end of 2015 to get on an annual upgrade and support plan. If you don’t get on a plan, you will not be able to upgrade your software in the future.

Q: If I have a Pro Tools perpetual license and my upgrade and support plan expires, what are my options if I want to upgrade later on?
A: You will have two options to get access to the latest version of Pro Tools:
Subscribe to Pro Tools software on a monthly or annual basis
Purchase a new Pro Tools perpetual license (full product) that includes an annual upgrade and support plan
Old 01-26-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Tim, I got my information from the Protools licensing FAQ on the Avid website, found here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...icensing-FAQ#3

I will quote the relevant parts:

Q. Will my Pro Tools perpetual license stop working at the end of the one-year upgrade and support plan period?
A. No, you can continue to use Pro Tools if you allow your upgrade and support plan to expire. However, if you want to continue receiving updates with new features, you will need to renew your plan before it expires or switch to a subscription. Pro Tools and Pro Tools | HD owners will have through the end of 2015 to get on an annual upgrade and support plan. If you don’t get on a plan, you will not be able to upgrade your software in the future.

Q: If I have a Pro Tools perpetual license and my upgrade and support plan expires, what are my options if I want to upgrade later on?
A: You will have two options to get access to the latest version of Pro Tools:
Subscribe to Pro Tools software on a monthly or annual basis
Purchase a new Pro Tools perpetual license (full product) that includes an annual upgrade and support plan
Yes, this is evil...

I could add numerous other adjectives as well.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM

"Evil" is word I reserve of things like murder/genocide. Let's keep it civil (we're talking about software here).

I would love to know the difference in cost between the current "upgrade and support plan" ($599 right? same as someone upgrading from PT9/10-kinda sucks that we have to pay the same right?) and jumping back on a subscription plan after this year (being treated as a NEW subscription).

Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
"Evil" is word I reserve of things like murder/genocide. Let's keep it civil (we're talking about software here).
It has been civil and of course, the software is not wicked. I and many others are hoping this is simply nothing more than an unfortunate oversight in the details and an inadvertent omission by Avid. Of which I might add I have been a loyal supporter of and consumer of their products for the last decade.

No doubt there are degrees and it remains to be seen where Avid decides to finally land on this issue but for the record evil is defined as follows:

Evil

adjective

1. morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.

2. harmful; injurious: evil laws.

3. characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.

4. due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 02-21-2015, 02:58 AM

I pretty much new to PT forums but I did read with respect to PT HD that support and upgrade plans were not yet finalised but would be by the time PT12 came out. Am I wrong or does that give us some hope for a more equitable state of affairs?