Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2018, 01:25 PM

Default Re: EQ Visual: New Feature for Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsearcher View Post
This will be pretty cool if it's mapped to control surfaces.
If this was fully realized it could be like Console 1 on an S3. I wouldn't be surprised if this is where Avid was headed. It would help to explain why they are reluctant to allow Console 1 to fully integrate.
Sadly, my first thought is: More features = More bugs
When the Dock/iPad app came out, all the press photos showed this but on the release product they didn't implement it. Still annoys me anytime avid shows those press photos of the dock. They've always promised to one day implement that.

As for those complaining about the visuals, luckily we all don't work the same. Being able to quickly glance and see if a channel is high-passed for rumble or had a peak or notch placed, is useful. You don't need to "mix" with it but it gives a visual representation of what you've done. But us post-production audio guys mix with hundreds of tracks while the band/project session recordings with 20 audio tracks may not see what the big deal is about.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I always preferred EQ plugins without curve graphics. They let me mix with my ears, not my eyes. But I guess I'm just old and reactionary. Carry on.
I guess the (y)ears of mixing experience are invaluable. Ears are fine when the room acoustics and monitoring also tells the truth. Avid is probably thinking about visuals covering 20 - 20 000 Hz, precision surround and audio analysis. Personally, I think audio visualization when used alongside great reference tracks can be highly useful.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:13 AM

I don’t know about “highly” useful, but I don’t object to visual display of eq curves within a plug in.
It’s just not useful to see some mini, largely non specific, version in the Mix window.

I’m not necessarily keen to give up the screen real estate, but it would be more practically useful, in my view, to have an option to display the eq settings (or ‘knobs’) instead of sends, for example, in the Mix window.
Then, like on a desk, you could just figuratively lean over and see your eq settings.
But the obvious problem with any of this is that we don’t have one standrdised eq in PT. We in practise use a wide variety of plug in eq choices that vary wildly in features.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
I don’t know about “highly” useful, but I don’t object to visual display of eq curves within a plug in.
It’s just not useful to see some mini, largely non specific, version in the Mix window.

I’m not necessarily keen to give up the screen real estate, but it would be more practically useful, in my view, to have an option to display the eq settings (or ‘knobs’) instead of sends, for example, in the Mix window.
Then, like on a desk, you could just figuratively lean over and see your eq settings.
But the obvious problem with any of this is that we don’t have one standrdised eq in PT. We in practise use a wide variety of plug in eq choices that vary wildly in features.
hi william,

would be cool on a 2nd or 3rd screen to display all this .. so edit and mix window could stay as they are but you get this big cool display when you select a track - all your settings, EQ, Sends, etc .. and have a way to see some Group info when you are working on Drums, pairs of guitars, etc ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-15-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
hi william,

edit and mix window could stay as they are but you get this big cool display when you select a track - all your settings, EQ, Sends, etc .

cheers john
This is exactly what you get with Console 1 when you run it in a fully compatible DAW. Let's keep pushing Avid to work with Softube on this.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
This is exactly what you get with Console 1 when you run it in a fully compatible DAW. Let's keep pushing Avid to work with Softube on this.
Softube has already chosen UA to work with so i doubt Softube will ask Avid to do the same but who knows Miracles do happen I am told ..

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-15-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
but again, only IF you only use the Console One plug ins
Old 04-12-2018, 01:16 PM

Let's apply the same arguments against an EQ Plot to other mixer UI elements: do we need visual representations of pan position? send levels? faders? Shouldn't we be using our ears for everything? Is that an extreme position?

I think the opinions against an EQ plot come from strong attachment to what you 'grew up with' and have become comfortable with.