Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 03-05-2015, 10:07 AM

Default Pro Tools Express (MBox 3) to Pro Tools Educational

Hi there,

My nephew has been very interested in audio editing and has been helping to mix my wife's songs using Pro Logic X & Adobe Audition and an Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX audio interface/mixer.

Since his editing was as much a help to us, and to help him learn, I've just bought him his own MBox 3 With Pro Tools Express as his birthday present.

I now know that there is Pro Tools 12 coming out soon and I've found out that there is an educational license that he is eligible for (he's in B'ham univ doing his computer science degree).

My questions are these:
  • Is there a natural upgrade path from Pro Tools Express to Pro Tools 11/12?
  • Given that Avid will shortly come out with First, PT12, PT12-HD... where does PT Express fit in?
  • Does PT Express have ALL the features as PT11/12?
  • What does he actually need to provide to prove eligibility? The link at Avid is fairly detailed, but practically, what is acceptable? To someone who has not been educated in the UK, what does this translate into? Email id? Uni address? Id Card photo?
  • How do I get the above proof across to Avid?
  • Given that I'm buying for him and my card/address will be used, how do I prove that I'm buying for my nephew?
  • Will the student educational version have ALL the features as the normal PT11/12 will have?

Thank you for your help in advance.