Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 PM

Default Whaaaaaaaaat?????

I've been off the net for a while and it was like 600 dollars for the full version and half of it to upgrade... Now a third of it for one year????

I was searching considering to buy a new computer and happy to finally go to pt11...

My conclusion is I stick with the computer I have and pt9 and I'll become more creative...

Already is a pain in the ass to find a Mac that suits my needs... I really didn't need this awful news... All the world in recession and you increase the price and limit life of artists which are probably the category with less money and less dependable in the world??? How could you keep up to apple and other companies???

Please Avid tell me I'm dreaming and that's a nightmare... Change it before many people sees it or nobody will ever want to use pt anymore...

I don't need your support or services... You never gave me... And you forced me to become a pt expert my own to troubleshoot my ass I won't ever call you and i won't ever send an email, as I never did till now because you were the only company without support... I'll never use your cloud nor the rain or the sun... Just let me live, give me te updates as you did till now, I'll choose which ones are worth it for me or I'll stick with 9.0.2 as I did till now

Thank you!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Whaaaaaaaaat?????

you are late to the party
welcome to the new world

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-24-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
you are late to the party
welcome to the new world
no, you welcome, i'll go vintage computers and software, I just need a thing that records... I do have the best plugs which are future proof and Don't need upgrades nor a daw to run... And I don't need new plugs or feature advertised as the best thing on earth and each time are just a new flavor of crap

Old Mac Pro, Pro tools 9.0.2, 2 Metric Halo LIOs with unbelievably good sounding mixer and processing, and some astonishingly good sounding hw samplers and synths... Finally I can say I did a good investment... That's why I haven been on the net searching for something lately... Unfortunately for Avid which could have had my money if they didn't do this horrible move... Totally out of the market...

I'll keep using computers that can be opened and repaired by myself and old software...

I don't need features, I have me.

The only thing I miss are curved automations... But then I laugh at something logic had in 2002...

And I'll keep using pt9 because to me or is still the best, the only one that makes sense... And I know it as much as my ass, thanks to all the times I wiped it

Then, if you "want to put cloud in your mixes", I'll put a sunshine

In the end, considering computers are becoming every year more costly and software houses greedier, in the long run consoles are cheaper and cooler and make more sense to my hands and ears and ass which is shacking instead sedimenting... I also save money because I don't need a physiotherapist
Old 02-25-2015, 11:05 AM

Hello allen_g
Thank you for elucidating, yours is possibly the best summary of Avid's new policies. No one (to a first approximation) likes it.
Hugh
Old 02-26-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
Hello allen_g
Thank you for elucidating, yours is possibly the best summary of Avid's new policies. No one (to a first approximation) likes it.
Hugh
AVID seems to think EVERYONE likes it and its a good idea despite all the feedback they have gotten.

So I guess when that time comes and AVID is left holding the back with less then half their user base left, no hardware sales and come scrambling out to figure out how to dig themselves out of this hole, it will all be but too late.

Its kind of like being able to see the Titanic sinking before it sinks. You tell them the danger and they are too arrogant to see the writing on the wall.

There are a lot of people who are slowly learning of this new policy by AVID and aren't upgrading, won't upgrade or are moving to something else.

Studio One has a non license surrender deal for people for 299 bucks, for 5 installs.
just email receipt for proof of purchase for your other DAW and you will get the crossgrade.

My friend said it was a pretty powerful DAW too.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-26-2015, 01:48 PM

I see a lot of hype around studio one. Looks like a cool piece of software. Doesn't hurt that a lot of the ex-Steinberg brain trust was involved.

But for me, it's worth it to stick with what I know. Studio One is more expensive than the support plan for non-HD, and requires a good deal of acclimating.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I see a lot of hype around studio one. Looks like a cool piece of software. Doesn't hurt that a lot of the ex-Steinberg brain trust was involved.

But for me, it's worth it to stick with what I know. Studio One is more expensive than the support plan for non-HD, and requires a good deal of acclimating.
Well, not really. If you own 2 vanilla licenses, the support plan is more.

Considering you get 5 installs of S1.
If you own one copy of HD, it is much more.

All I'm saying is that other DAWs are making it attractive to switch over.
AVID isn't making hobbyist or even semi pro users feel very important.

Between the number of people I know who are switching and not upgrading past PT 11, I can count the number of people who are reluctantly going with AVID's support plan on 1 hand.

Not to mention all of the hardware upgrade/purchase losses I know about.

Just saying, if AVID thinks everything is all "puppies and kittens", then they sure are smoking something.

Not sure how AVID considers themselves on an equal playing field as Adobe or Microsoft.

Guess AVID will have to get knocked down a few pegs first, replace the CEO, clean house and try to rebuild when its all said and done.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-26-2015, 02:45 PM

Digi 002 with Pro Tools 10 till the wheels fall off here. Or until I'm presented with a better option.

Voting with my wallet this time.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Well, not really. If you own 2 vanilla licenses, the support plan is more.
That's where the multi-seat license offered by Studio One is cheaper, definitely. S1 is certainly an attractive prospect to some, just not me specifically. I'm only ever going to need one license at a time.

I have a vanilla license and a separate HD license. I only plan to update the HD license, and to me it makes more sense to shell out an extra couple hundred bucks than to acclimate my workflow and migrate all my sessions. Or, as the case may be by the end of this year, stick with version 11 and spend no extra money.