Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Another unhappy customer...

The only thing I know that will crash 10.2 (yes, I haven't updated) is if I try to do anything while elastic audio is analyzing a new recording.

If I wait for it I'm good but sometimes I forget and I get the spinning beach ball. I do think the OP's issues can be sorted out but it may be a few things rather than one. Also agree that VI's within PT at this point can be trouble if they use a lot of RAM.

Good point above about PT11 and Vi's. Unless VEpro comes out AAX it could be a while before PT11 is a good choice.

EDIT: I see on VE's website that it is AAX native compatible.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMeany View Post
You wont have any VIs to use when PT11 hits if none of the major developers port them over
That'll be my cue to take the plunge and move over to Ableton Live. Just thinking of the nice outboard gear I'll be able to buy with the resale of HDX already makes me want to make the move... haha.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM

NI has some ported as has Vienna

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=325386

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 PM

EWQL have also stated they will go AAX also.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-16-2012, 06:34 PM

99% of the HDX crashes I have seen are old plug-ins that are installed.
Make sure you have all the latest updates.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
99% of the HDX crashes I have seen are old plug-ins that are installed.
Make sure you have all the latest updates.

That is what I would look at also.

Actually I would first do a clean reinstall of osx and do a image backup of that.
Then only install Pro Tools and also do another image backup.

Finally I would install one plugin at a time and check that it works, befor installing another. I would only install plugins that are recently updated.

But first reinstall.

Not long ago I had a problem with random crashes. Tried to remove plugins, reinstall them, reinstall Pro Tools, but nothing worked. I finally reinstalled Windows and that did it. I'v since been 99% issue free. Also I have several plugins that I don't install because I know they give me issues (even with the latest updates).

The only issue I have now is that PT crashes if I leave it on inactive over night. But this is easily solved by turning off the computer when Im done for the day.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. Please don't take the following comment badly as it is merely an observation of those replies.
-How can old plugins crash PT if they once worked? This doesn't make sense, if a plug worked once, and the protocol for reading plugins hasn't changed (RTAS have been around for some time now), how can a working version suddenly be the culprit? I know that while this works in theory, in practice, you point is very valid (Sonnox comes to mind as plugs that once worked and now are causing problems) so I know it's a valid point.
- My other remark will be that it seems a lot of people either use Protools as their secondary platform or are not working full time in the industry. I know that for me, reinstalling OS, Protools, plugs one by one (and doing extensive tests with each plug installed) is not an option. I run my studio as a nearly full time business, and when I'm not in it working, I'm at University teaching about it, so there really is no downtime. Even just thinking that I could take a week off to do all those tests sound like a fairy tale at best...
Again, please do not take this as an insult, but merely as an observation of the given comments. And as I said earlier, I really didn't start this thread to find a solution (I've made peace with the fact that there isn't for my particular problem / situation), I just put it out there to whinge about the state of the industry standard DAW (Yes, I'll admit it, I'm just whinging about it...)
Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmostephane View Post
How can old plugins crash PT if they once worked?
Maby you have installed new plugins wich might affect the old ones ?
Maby you have changed one or more components in your machine since you first installed the old plugins ?
Maby you have updated Pro Tools ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmostephane View Post
I know that for me, reinstalling OS, Protools, plugs one by one (and doing extensive tests with each plug installed) is not an option.
Well then it's tough. Your system wont suddenly start working issue free unless you try some of the suggestions.

Sometimes simply uninstalling or removing plugins is not enough. A complete reinstall is needed. But even that is no guarantee. As mentioned there might be hardware problems aswell. But atleast reinstalling is free. It will cost you some time, but really shouldn't take more than a day or two (depending on how many of your plugins you want to reinstall).

If your current setup is causing you alot of frustrations I would definetly take time out to thoroughly try to deal with the issues.
The optimizations alone are not enough to fix it.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM

I, for one, use Pro Tools for my full on full time occupation. It is not my second, part time job. It is the same for many of us here. Pro tools is totally stable, day in and day out. If, on the rare occasion we do have a problem, we take the time to find out the cause and then we fix it. The fact is that those of us who choose to are all still working full time, day in and day out, with this software.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 AM

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...n&DocType=1450

According to this you should be on OSX 10.7 or newer for Pro Tools 10.3.2 and HDx. Just a thought.