Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Another unhappy customer...

12 years of nearly flawless and crash-less working on LE and HD I also have a 12 core mac pro. Only 16 gb of RAM, but my system has been stable for 12 years.

I don't know how dirty you've got your hands trying to solve your problems, but I'm sure there's a fix. It may be something small that you've missed. Since i'm getting pretty amazing results on a very similar computer with PT, i'm pretty sure that it's not the software. Just sayin'

I'm running PT 10.3.2 on a 2.6ghz 12 core mac pro with 16gb of RAM. Currently using Lion with a PT HD Accel 2 system.

Last edited by The Egg; 12-13-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: forgot to give some details
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmostephane View Post
No error messages, it just quits
I hope I'm not stating the obvious here but are you keeping an eye on how much memory PT is using. Above 2.3GB my system will invariably crash with no warning.

If I keep below 2GB I've found PT pretty stable and I use VIs a LOT....

PT spits out a running out of memory error when it is using 2.8GB of RAM on my system but I've nearly always crashed by then. In my opinion it should warn you earlier or let you set a user definable amount of memory usage before posting an error.

It's really easy to run out of memory very quickly in PT, especially if you use a lot of VI's, there are lots of edits and/or Elastic Audio tracks in your session.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 AM

8 years for me with very few problems. I have more problems with Microsoft Word than I do with PT.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Have you looked at User / Library /Logs ... crash reporter to see if the crash logs indicate anything. and also the Avid logs "dlog" files. you can send the dlog's into Avid.

Total quits could be hardware / Ram etc

Hope you find the issue.

Chris
I would agree... Things that seem like possible suspects are:

1. Bad RAM
2. A specific plug-in or two (You would have to strip them down and add back in slowly)
3. Install - Have you uninstalled/re-installed?

Also curious if you've talked to your dealer or Australian Avid contacts like Stuart Newman? They can help...

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I have indeed exhausted all the troubleshooting that can be done, so at this point I'd rather spend my time dealing around crashes than days trying to fix them. Probably not the best solution in the long run, but I can't think of anything worse than spending more days and nights trying to fix the unfixable...
Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 PM

It is definitely not unfixable. There are thousands of us who use Pro Tools 6, 7 days a week and have absolutely no problems with stability. There is an identifiable culprit somewhere in your system.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 PM

I would also say a crash without any errors is almost certainly the RAM crapping out at 2.8Gb. A few uses of Melodyne in Poly mode soon eats that up. People who say they're using it without any crashes obviously aren't driving it that hard in terms of RAM use.

Just my 2p
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 PM

I have found that using less VIs tends to give me less crashes, so hoping that 64bit PT (if / whenever it comes out) will thin out the amount of crashes...

Side note on people mentioning that there are plugs crashing the system, this is probably true, but if I didn't want to use third party plugs, I'd be using Reason, not PT...
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 PM

And it could be even more simpler.. What plugins of Fxpansion are you using? Do you possibly still have the fxpansion wrapper into your plugins folder? That plugin is actually very unstable for many people on PT 10 and even FXpansion had a warning about it.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I have found that using less VIs tends to give me less crashes, so hoping that 64bit PT (if / whenever it comes out) will thin out the amount of crashes...

Side note on people mentioning that there are plugs crashing the system, this is probably true, but if I didn't want to use third party plugs, I'd be using Reason, not PT...
You wont have any VIs to use when PT11 hits if none of the major developers port them over Yay 10! Hmmmmmm. What makes me believe that 11 is gonna drop and everyones gonna be like "Wheres the plugins?!" LOL

Last rock solid version for me was in OS9, PT 5.3.1 on a Mix system. I think 6.4 was decent as well but all downhill after that.