Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Protools 5.0 on Nubus Mac?

I just bought Nubus Protools on eBay and I want to upgrade it with as much features as I can. I'm running a 300mhz 8100 G3 Powermac and I'm using PT 4.0.1. Where can I find additional software and hardware for my system? Also, is it possible to get 5.0 on a Nubus Mac?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Protools 5.0 on Nubus Mac?

4.2 is the last supported version, 4.3 also works, but to make 5.0 funtion requires a hacked version of the DAE file to run on nubus machines...
Old 02-11-2004, 11:38 AM

"Hacked" is a bit strong. I was the guy who originally figured this out, sorry Digi!

How to perform this from cold:-

1. Move DSI out of the system folder, say to the desktop

2. Instal ProTools 5

3. Delete the DSI that is installed with ProTools 5

4. Open the DSI on your desktop (the old one) with ResEDIT and change the VERS resource to 5.0, and save.

5. Copy the modified DSI back into your extensions folder and reboot.

Basically PT 5 and DAE 5 check what version everything is running at, but there was no change to the DSI code with regard to Nubus hardware between the last supported one (I forget the exact version number) and 5.0 All the changes related to PCI hardware.

5.0 is about it for Nubus though, as when 5.1 was released they took out all the code for nubus support from the DAE / DSI combo.

Caveat it was a while ago I did this and I may be mistaken, in that you modify DAE in the manner listed above instead of the DSI, but I'm pretty sure it was the DSI.

This system worked great for me for about 2 years until I upgraded to a Mix+

I'd STRONGLY reccomend at least a 266MHz G3 PDS upgrade, or preferably a 300MHz one.

I'd also reccommend you get a pair of high end (Well they were back in the day!) graphics cards. These along with the CPU upgrade make a large difference to the feel of ProTools, and make it pretty usable..

Old 02-11-2004, 05:03 PM

Yes, I guess "modified" would have been a better word for it...