Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-10-2010, 02:51 PM

Default No sound coming from protools

I bought my Mbox 2 factory bundle yesterday and I have it set up correctly (i think), but I can't get any sound out of protools.
The speakers came with a wire that has a two 1/4 jacks (like for an instrument) on one end and two Auxiliary cords on the other end.

I'm not sure how to set up my speakers, because both ends need to be a 1/4 jack, but I don't think the company would just not provide that cord.
I went out and bought two 1/4in adapters but they don't fit it. The metal casing around the tip of the aux jacks is blocking it from getting on, so I taped it, but that didn't work.
The 1/4in jacks plug into a left and right TRS input in the speakers and the other end should have the jacks that plug into a left and right "Mon Out"
I'm assuming thats Monitor out- I don't know.

I'm not sure if that's how the Speakers are supposed to be set up, but I can't get any sound any other way.
I don't have the financial means to facilitate any more stuff for my equpiment.

Here's the specs for my PC

Windows Vista
32-bit OS
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 Ghz
2 Gs RAM
Realtek HD Audio Manager

I think that's all I need
I'm pretty frustrated right now, hopefully I can get some help
Old 01-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Default Re: No sound coming from protools

The headphones work

So wtf do I do about my speakers, lol

I'm using the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40
Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 PM

The only way 'speakers" are going to work directly off the Mbox output is if they're "powered"
Old 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM

The speakers work, plugged into my soundcard on my pc, but not on the mbox.

There's 2 1/4 plugs on one end but on the other end are two AV cords (like cords for an xbox 360 or a dvd player for a TV) they're orange and gray, but shorter than the average AV cord, but I know 2 1/4 plugs should be on that end as well
Old 01-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKshorty View Post
I bought my Mbox 2 factory bundle yesterday and I have it set up correctly (i think), but I can't get any sound out of protools.
The speakers came with a wire that has a two 1/4 jacks (like for an instrument) on one end and two Auxiliary cords on the other end.

I'm not sure how to set up my speakers, because both ends need to be a 1/4 jack, but I don't think the company would just not provide that cord.
I went out and bought two 1/4in adapters but they don't fit it. The metal casing around the tip of the aux jacks is blocking it from getting on, so I taped it, but that didn't work.
The 1/4in jacks plug into a left and right TRS input in the speakers and the other end should have the jacks that plug into a left and right "Mon Out"
I'm assuming thats Monitor out- I don't know.
What do you mean by "Auxiliary cords"?? Do you mean RCA type connectors?

Don't assume what they would include in the box is going to work for your rig.

If the cables that were included are 1/4" on one end and RCA on the other, then plug the 1/4" into the mbox and the RCA into the monitors. the Mbox2 appears to only have unbalanced monitor out connectors so you don't get any benefit out of using the 1/4" TRS inputs on the monitors..
Old 01-10-2010, 08:48 PM

A dual core AMD may well need the old "Dual Core Hotfix". Google that if you never had Pro Tools running on that computer.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM

I also had a problem with my speakers not working
So once i downloaded my mbox2 mini and pro tools 8 my speakers stopped working on stereo and only it works on mono but on pro tools i dont get any sound at all. I have 2 alesis M1Active 320USB speakers and i bought two balanced 1/4 inch jacks for the mon out and the inputs on my speaker, but it still doesnt work?
is it because they are usb speakers and not studio monitor speakers?
or is there some configuration that i have to do?