Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2001, 08:36 AM

Default copying chourus\'s and other audio information

Can anyone give a detailed explaination on how to copy audio information from one region to another percisly. i tried to do this by dragging but i never can get the audio in sync with the rest of the track. I worked with an engineer recently on mix 24
(mac) and i remeber him asking me what tempo the song was he then was able to copy the audio regions (chourus)with perfect accuracy. can anyone explain this process.
thanks in advance
Old 05-14-2001, 04:17 PM

Default Re: copying chourus\'s and other audio information

In short, you isolate the section of a song that defines the tempo (one or two clear measures)and then use the identify beat command to calculate the tempo within that range. Once the tempo has been established you can use the "grid" snap to cut/copy specific sections of audio by entire measures or beats.

Refer to page 230 in the manual suplied with PT Free. They have a page worth of info and a few pictures. I just looked this up myself a few days ago.

"The Identify Beat command lets you establish a tempo/meter map for audio that was recorded without listening to the click, or for imported audio with unknown tempos......."

Old 05-14-2001, 04:31 PM

THANKS TAZ I'LL TRY THAT TONIGHT
Old 05-16-2001, 11:44 AM

I tried all of what you said it worked sort of. i set the tempo manually because i allways know the tempo of my songs, it was weird i tried to use beat detective i highlighted about 2-3 bars of the track the beat detective pop up showed the bars highlighted asked if it was 4/4 time i clicked "process" or what ever and it seemed
like it defaulted to 120.00 bpm i tried three or four time same thing maybe i did something wrong? after setting the tempo my self 86 bpm i clicked grid and the grid showed up on all of the tracks very cool.
this is were i got lost 1. is there a pop up window for the grid function ? 2. there is a display for grid in the far top right hand corner it allways reads 000.1 or something like that, what part does that display play in the process? how does the snap to function work can you explain it to me and how does it work in conjunction with copying audio within a grid (the manual is very vauge ) oh yea, say i have a chours that is built up over four audio tracks 1-2-3-4 its
recorded in between measures 17-24 i want to copy all of the chourus all 4 tracks to say measure 25-32 using the grid fuction and snap to how is it done? the way i did it last night was i made a duplicate of each track 1-4 and manualy moved them into position one at a time using the grid for accuracy it took a while but it was accurate. is there a easy way maybe using the snap function? i think i got lucky though because all of my tracks began at a grid line what if i had a track that began in the middle of two grid line's it would be olmost impossible to move them accuratly is there a way to tighten up the grid? maybe it has to do with choosing the note value quarter notes and so on. if you could tackle any of these questions it would be of help.
Your last post got me on the right track thanks in advance
Old 05-16-2001, 06:37 PM

Before I attempt to answer any of these questions let me first say if you know the BPM of the music you are recording set the time first in the transport window and record to a click track. You will save yourself allot of editing time this way.

First question "Is there a pop-up for the grid?"
Yes the drop down box in the upper right hand portion of the edit window. If you select it it brings up a list of timings. you select the units ( beats, time, samples,etc..) in the bottom portion and the top section sets the resolution( beats 1/4 note 1/64 note.... time 10 msec 100 msec etc..) The snap function is the grid function. It will snap to the resolution that you select based on the units you are in. The grid function is more of a mode. you should also look up the shuffle, slip and spot modes as they are useful as well.

Second part. How do you copy just a portion of several tracks? You can select a portion in the middle like measures 17-24 by holding down the shift key, click and drag to make your selection in gray "bars and beats" portion of the time line just above where it says defaut tempo. This will select a portion of audio in all tracks though that time period. Once the section you want to move is highlighted used "edit" "separate region" and give it a new name. This will divide the highlighted regions in all tracks into separate regions you can move independently of the main tracks. If you don't want to cut all the tracks, click in one of the tracks that you want to select. Then hold the shift key down and click in all the tracks you want to cut. Then click and drag to highlight the section you want to move. Separate it just like the other method.

Also you can move audio by small amounts (nudging) by using the + and - keys on the numeric keypad. The values that each nudge produces are set by the values in the grid resolution and units drop down box.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by TAZ (edited May 16, 2001).]
Old 05-18-2001, 12:40 AM

THANKS TAZ I'LL TRY THAT (YOU KNOW WHAT IM GONA SAY)