Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Pro Tools Vs. Cubase or Nuendo...

I am a music tech major who has been working with Protools for about 4 years. I purchased an M-box to help learn the program on a very limited budget. Recently I have purchased a Firepod (Presonus) and have developed a definite bias in the favor of Steinberg programs. I know that pro tools is the industry standard but I feel that Steinberg's program's are more user friendly, support more midi, more easily, and cost much less than the Pro tools systems... someone help me please...? Trying to go one route or the other... soon!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Vs. Cubase or Nuendo...

It is all taste...

Pro Tools has one type of work enviornment. Nuendo and Cubase have another type. There are a few minor features they have that Pro Tools doesn't, and there are some PT has they don't. Therefore, if one enables you to work without thinking, while another causes you major migraines, then it is pretty obvious which to go with. Sessions can be moved between all of these by an experienced user.

For an experienced Pro Tools user...well, there isnt anything you will do with Cubase or Nuendo that I (we?) cannot do with PT. If there is, it is most likely one of those minor things, and I (and numerous others) have found workarounds, or simply have no use for that feature.

For instance: Many people prefer having a seperate window open for their MIDI piano roll editor. I, and many others, do not. I do not want extra windows. Just as one user will fly through MIDI edits using the piano roll editor in Nuendo, I will also do so in PT, just as fast. Thus, it all comes down to comfort. Each one will get manure from point A to point B

As far as "industry standard..." well, PT just has a huge footprint there. But, I truly think in the non-pro installation area, Cubase has a HUGE footprint comparitively. Sonar is used by alot of composers as well. And Nuendo is making strides, albeit it may sem like they are slow ones. For Nuendo, competing with HD is simply difficult. PT HD just has obvious advantages, despite any personal likes or dislikes users may have (like price ).

If there is something specific you were doing with Cubase that PT is not allowing/providing for you, mention specifics, and maybe someone will find a workaround, or explain how the PT approach differs. If it comes down to mechanics and GUI (such as the example I provided of seperate window for MIDI edits), then it is VERY obvious: either adapt with a smile, or kick PT to the curb. Spend the time you would have spent being frustrated and pissed off with PT and dedicate it to working on transferring sessions in Cubase to PT, if that is something you forsee having to do (with friends and such). If it is worries of using your sessions in a pro studio at a (much?) later date, dont worry- a true pro can move em, like I said before.

If I missed some part of your arguement, please point it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:31 PM

I got an mbox for 3 reasons

1) to replace a broken echo layla (still my favotite)
2) because its bus powered (I can record anywhere with my laptop)
3) to open pro tools projects from other studios

I use Nuendo 90% of the time....Never been impressed with pro tools, and to tell you the truth, im not to impressed thus far with the mbox. Ive had alot of compatability issues already in the first week. but im sure ill resolve the majority. As for the software, pro tools is definatly the industry standard but I think Nuendo is superior. In my humble opinion...Nuendo 3, Digital Performer 4.6, and Sonar 5 are all just as good as PTLE 7 I . But really, I think it comes down to what you do. For recording there is nothing wrong with pro tools. For music/media creation...Nuendo is king. Luckily, digidesign's main selling point is the hardware, not the software. I can use anything and make good music, as can many other people in the forum here. Its all a matter of taste. I like Steinberg software...but Im also a fairly new (year or so) user to PTLE, and I hope to learn a thing or 2 in this forum...so dont everybody get angry with me!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:49 PM

Just my two cents: I used Cubase for 3 years, in a variety of projects, with mostly audio material. After 1 month, I felt as if I could do more and work more easily with Pro Tools than I ever could with Cubase. To be honest, I wasn't all that keen to get PT due to the expense. Luckily a colleague convinced me that it was a good investment and the money became available.

However, as you say, hardware is the important thing. Great mics, great music and great pres make such a bigger difference than the software you use. And I firmly believe, whatever DAW you choose, you will find a way to make it work for you. I just really like Pro Tools and could never go back to Cubase (I tried, for the MIDI, but still prefer to use PT).
Old 11-30-2005, 04:53 AM

Ive been using Cubase and Nuendo for about 5 to 7 years even tho I do own Pro Tools the Steinberg programs seems to work for me. Im recently getting into Pro Tools more just to be on top of my game it doesnt hurt to learn both if you can.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 PM

the best DAW is the one that works best for you period. if thats cubase (i wonder why) then go for it. its about the music you make not that program you use to do it.