Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2013, 09:46 PM

Default MIDI Sustain Keeps Going and Going

I've been experiencing a weird situation in PT 10.3.6. When using midi pianos, such as Addictive Keys, the sustain on the midi keeps going over and over itself and never stops. The sustain just loops around until there is just a mass of piano noise, as if there's a never ending delay. I have to clear the plugin entirely and reload the plugin and patch. This issue usually happens after starting and stopping my session a few times in a row on playback.

I've also noticed it with string and horn patches in East West Play. Same thing occurs. So, I don't believe it's a problem with addictive keys.

Would love som insight here. It's the first time this has happened after years of PT use.

Alex

MAC OS Ventura
Pro Tools 2024.3
2020 iMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5, 64GB Ram
UA Apollo Rackmount Thunderbolt + Dangerous D-Box
2x Glyph Studio 2TB Raid SSD
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 AM

Default Re: MIDI Sustain Keeps Going and Going

anyone have a fix for this? would appreciate it. thanks.

MAC OS Ventura
Pro Tools 2024.3
Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 AM

Most likely your midi controller isn't sending a "note off" command, or at least PT is not recieving it, so it thinks your still pressing the keys.

Most keyboards have a "panic" button to escape from that situation...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM

Are you sure you have the correct "pedal" as there is a huge difference in a "systain pedal" and normal switch pedal. Also make sure you have plugged it into the right input as there are atleast 2 inputs for pedals on most keyboards.
One damp and one systain.

Not trying to be a wise guy just checking as the easiest things sometimes gets overlooked.

Best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Thanks, but I might not have been clear. All this is happening AFTER the recording of midi is finished. The midi controller works fine and has a normal sustain pedal. The recorded midi works correctly for the first 10-15 minutes of playback. The sustains are in the right spots and they cut off right where I need them to.

After that, (a few minutes or hours of playback later) suddenly and without any reason, the sustain issue occurs. In other words, the midi is recorded with correct sustain and release. The PLAYBACK after the recording is done is when I get the issue.

This is a software thing, not a midi controller thing.

MAC OS Ventura
Pro Tools 2024.3
Old 11-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anackman View Post
Thanks, but I might not have been clear. All this is happening AFTER the recording of midi is finished. The midi controller works fine and has a normal sustain pedal. The recorded midi works correctly for the first 10-15 minutes of playback. The sustains are in the right spots and they cut off right where I need them to.

After that, (a few minutes or hours of playback later) suddenly and without any reason, the sustain issue occurs. In other words, the midi is recorded with correct sustain and release. The PLAYBACK after the recording is done is when I get the issue.

This is a software thing, not a midi controller thing.
Look at the MIDI event list and see what you're getting there - are you getting both CC64 64 (sustain on) and a corresponding CC64 0 (sustain off)? Try this with a single track (nothing else in a PT session) and see what happens. If you're using multiple tracks and depending on where in the session you're starting playback you might be getting a combo of multiple tracks feeding the same MIDI channel and/or not getting the CC64 0 command. For example if you start play and a note is sustained and you hit stop before the sustain off is sent then you'll get sustains where you don't want them.

Sometimes things with multiple MIDI tracks and a lot of sustain notes will just hang. That's why vi's like Kontakt have a panic button to cut MIDI notes from playing.

QAPLA!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 PM

I had this happen too, and it came from starting and stopping PT randomly with an instrument track running.

The quick work around is to replay the track through the passage where it glitched on, and it will stop. This of course means knowing where in the track the offending midi note is, but that turns that note off.