Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 PM

Default Artist Control & Ableton Live

Hopefully there are other Live users here that might share their experiences getting an Artist Control to work (or not) with Ableton Live.

Here is a brief list of my limited attempts and their results:

Live 8, OSX 10.7.5 and Eucon 2.6.2: Seemed to work rather well together. Softkeys were automatically mapped, banking between tracks worked fine. Encoders have no function beyond basic panning.

Live 8, Win7, Eucon 2.6.2: No premapped softkeys, track banking worked and again nothing beyond basic panning with the encoders.

Live 9, Win7, Eucon 2.7.1: Works? Sort of, but not really. I can now bank between tracks (sort of), and I presume that I should be able to program softkeys (but I'm not going to waste my time until Eucon 3.0 is released). What I'm really hoping is to be able to make use of the encoders.

Being an RME Total Mix FX user, I know that the Mackie Control emulation for Eucon is just plain broken. Although with the MIDI mapping flexibility of Live, and the ability to create custom control scripts I'd like to think that getting a working solution should be possible. Has anyone had success and is willing to share the details of their set up?

I'd love to keep the Artist Control, but it won't be justifiable if I can't get a reasonable level of integration with Live.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Artist Control & Ableton Live

I don't understand why avid and ableton can't work together for real eucon support.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Hello 73*
When I bought my Artist Control I was using Live 8 & Eucontrol 2.6.2 on Mac 10.7. I had some of the same problems until I uninstalled completely and reinstalled. I am using Live 9 now & Eucontrol 2.7.1 and all still works fine but I've never ran the software on a PC. Not sure what's going on for you but the encoders definitely work in Live! If I select a Live Track with plug-ins or devices on it I can control all its parameters. Select a track, and go to soft key page two where you have buttons for I/O, Sends, Pan, Plug-ins, EQ and Dynamics. If you select Plug-ins the top of the encoder will show the track names of the first 8 tracks and the bottom of the encoder will show the list of plug-in on that track. push the encoder that has the plug-in you want to control. Depending on which plug-in you're using the parameters are split up across plug-ins, EQ and dynamics. In the same way you can control the sends the I/O and everything else. Hope this answers some of your questions.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingeniousp View Post
Hello 73*
When I bought my Artist Control I was using Live 8 & Eucontrol 2.6.2 on Mac 10.7. I had some of the same problems until I uninstalled completely and reinstalled. I am using Live 9 now & Eucontrol 2.7.1 and all still works fine but I've never ran the software on a PC. Not sure what's going on for you but the encoders definitely work in Live! If I select a Live Track with plug-ins or devices on it I can control all its parameters. Select a track, and go to soft key page two where you have buttons for I/O, Sends, Pan, Plug-ins, EQ and Dynamics. If you select Plug-ins the top of the encoder will show the track names of the first 8 tracks and the bottom of the encoder will show the list of plug-in on that track. push the encoder that has the plug-in you want to control. Depending on which plug-in you're using the parameters are split up across plug-ins, EQ and dynamics. In the same way you can control the sends the I/O and everything else. Hope this answers some of your questions.
That's just HUI mode though and not the real EuCon integration thing.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
That's just HUI mode though and not the real EuCon integration thing.
You’re right; it's not native Eucon. I hope Avid & Ableton can get to gather and make it happen for version 3. But I think what he was asking about is the level of integration you have right now with the current software which is quite deep for the Mackie protocol.