Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2013, 11:00 AM

Default Re: HEAT

Yeah, it is a shiny new toy. I like new toys. Since so much of live-to-tape involves zero remixing, I'll probably keep it in for awhile. Maybe some day I'll do some "real mixing". (Sorry Drew, couldn't resist!) I'm reminded of the Duke Ellington quote: "If it sounds good, it IS good." I think it sounds great. And it plays well with my favorite drum buss squisher, the Slate Digital FG-MU.

I did trade in a bunch of blueface gear (including 6 I/Os) when I went to HDX. Nobody said anything about HEAT at the time. Maybe I'll check with Ron and see if we overlooked something, but in any event they already have the $.

It would be nice to be able to use it on my Native rig as well. Corporate decisions are something of a mystery to me.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 11-27-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I own HEAT and used it for certain things back in my TDM days.

It was ok to "jazz up" a rough mix, adding some density and making it sound like you mixed it a little bit more than you actually did. But when it came to real mixing, I found it to be a bit of a transient robbing sledgehammer.

Sure, there's a honeymoon phase where you're thinking this is great!!! But once that's over and you compare what you can achieve by dealing with each track's individual needs with tools like Phoenix (which is the "full" algo of HEAT essentially) VCC and VTM, UA's stuff etc... I don't really miss it.
In talking to Dave, Heat is a slightly different animal than Phoenix. He recommends using Heat, Phoenix & RA all in conjunction on same mix. They each bring something different to the party.....
Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Baird View Post
Maybe some day I'll do some "real mixing". (Sorry Drew, couldn't resist!)

It would be nice to be able to use it on my Native rig as well. Corporate decisions are something of a mystery to me.

Peter
You gotta dream!!!

seriously, didn't mean to come off that way, sorry.

I too would love to be able to use HEAT (for those refs!! ) now that I've gone HD Native.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.