Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-23-2019, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Using multiple versions of ProTools??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
After market repair places can replace motherboards, if needed, likely from a donor machine. Or at that point just buy a used machine and move the other components over.

One of my favorite MacBook Pro was a 17" model. I loved that computer. Opened up and memory maxed out by me. It had the motherboard/GPU replaced under a recall program. Both CPU cooling fans replaced on separate occasions by me (don't use your computer in dirty wood working shops). The HDD replaced with a SDD by me. The screen replaced by me (just totally died one day). The SSD upgraded again by me.

Differentiate all this from my current MBP which I'd not want to open myself... and which now has a cursor key failing on the crappy butterfly keyboard and needs to get repaired.

At some point the increased power of new Macs will be so appealing or some new Pro Tools feature that needs some new macOS will be so appealing that you will migrate to a new Mac. And I expect that will happen before it becomes impossible to repair your current Mac Book Pro, just because they are so repairable. But I would hope you get several more years use out of it.
Good points. Thanks
Old 05-23-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
After market repair places can replace motherboards, if needed, likely from a donor machine. Or at that point just buy a used machine and move the other components over.

One of my favorite MacBook Pro was a 17" model. I loved that computer. Opened up and memory maxed out by me. It had the motherboard/GPU replaced under a recall program. Both CPU cooling fans replaced on separate occasions by me (don't use your computer in dirty wood working shops). The HDD replaced with a SDD by me. The screen replaced by me (just totally died one day). The SSD upgraded again by me.

Differentiate all this from my current MBP which I'd not want to open myself... and which now has a cursor key failing on the crappy butterfly keyboard and needs to get repaired.

At some point the increased power of new Macs will be so appealing or some new Pro Tools feature that needs some new macOS will be so appealing that you will migrate to a new Mac. And I expect that will happen before it becomes impossible to repair your current Mac Book Pro, just because they are so repairable. But I would hope you get several more years use out of it.
If you haven't heard Apple extended the repair deal on those wonky keyboards so more you should be in luck with a warranty repair.

Any of the Apple 17 inch laptops were a breeze to repair if you had the right tools. There was so much room in them.

QAPLA!
Old 05-23-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If you haven't heard Apple extended the repair deal on those wonky keyboards so more you should be in luck with a warranty repair.
Yep, on it. Just need to find time.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 PM

My MBP SSD & new IMac upgrades & acquisitions got postponed a bit as I had a couple Graduations & a Wedding for my Kids & Nephew that set me back a Mac & some Cash...

I plan to do the SSD in the next couple weeks.. The IMac is a couple months away..

Anyhow, a Buddy of mine got a new IMac 27" Retina, I9 Processor, with 8 GB & 3 TB fusion Drive. He bought 2 - 32 GB Memory Cards from OWC. For a total of 72 GB RAM.. He says, he plans to get 2 more for a total of 128 GB RAM..

Is that doable? If so I will probably go that route as well... It will help to save $$$..

Thanks

Last edited by larsongs; 06-20-2019 at 09:22 AM.