Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-17-2020, 02:50 AM

Default Working with DaVinci Resolve : shot/clip markers

Hi everyone!

Soon I'll be working on some sound design for video.

Right now, if I want to easily see the beginning of every shot I have to manually add a marker to every shot using frame by frame. I'm wondering if there's a faster way to do that.

The editor is going to use Davinci Resolve and I wanted to know if there's a way he could send me a file containing markers corresponding to every shot/clip.
I've tried exporting EDL files, AAF files from Resolve but they don't contain markers.

Any ideas?
Old 06-17-2020, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Working with DaVinci Resolve : shot/clip markers

I don't know if there is a way with Resolve, but I find it easier to watch the video through and put a cut (cntrl+B) at each scene change, then if you click on a scene the whole scene is highlighted, so you can play from the start or just use the up and down shortcuts and use the whole scene range for trimming ambiences with Cntrl T, write automation to the whole scene etc plus it's a good way to watch the pics through a few times to get familiar with them.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:29 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

You can use an EDL from the editor and convert it to markers using EdiMarker which is free.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 06-19-2020, 12:46 AM

I'll try that! Thanks!
Old 06-19-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedat View Post
You can use an EDL from the editor and convert it to markers using EdiMarker which is free.
You can also use Soundflow for that. There`s a great little app inside, which let`s you convert an EDL to Markes or Region Groups, which is even more useful writing automation over a scene
Old 06-20-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
I don't know if there is a way with Resolve, but I find it easier to watch the video through and put a cut (cntrl+B) at each scene change,
A donation download encoder "Shutter Encoder" has extensive options available at the encoding stage including auto scene "cut detection", edl recovery, numerous overlay functions.... I would approach the Resolve editor and suggest they use it for the delivery encoding after you have specified exactly what you need.
FWIW my understanding of this program is that it was designed by editors to make it easy for them to deliver exactly what is wanted.

Andrew
Old 06-21-2020, 03:42 AM

I tried the Shutter Encoder cut detection on a film I didn't have an EDL for and it currently doesn't work sadly.
The developer says he's going to improve it, so hopefully it will be a cool feature in the future.
The rest of the App is great though. I use it all the time.

The problem I've found with creating scene markers from EDL's is that you need to clean the EDL first before creating the markers. Otherwise you will run out of available markers (999) before the end of the film.

Its better to use dummy regions and tidy up afterwards.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I tried the Shutter Encoder cut detection on a film I didn't have an EDL for and it currently doesn't work sadly.
The developer says he's going to improve it, so hopefully it will be a cool feature in the future.
Thanks for the sad info on cut detection.

FWIW
Resolve has a fairly good scene detect feature. Scene cut has to be used on a file before bringing the media into Resolve the first time. The resultant cuts may not be perfect with most video transitions in the file showing as 1, 2 or 3 cuts. However Resolve has excellent editing functions whilst in scene cut mode and it is easy and fast to add, remove and move cuts as required and KB commands to step between cuts. Taking the resultant scene cut file into a Resolve timeline should produce a clean edl.

I use the scene cut function in Resolve a lot to prepare old video masters for grading and restoration. Up until now I have not needed or tried to export an EDL from a scene cut timeline. Cut detection works with both Resolve and Resolve Studio.

Andrew