Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 PM

Default "Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

Hey all, I've been getting a strange error tonight. It occurs anytime I try to move a Quicktime Movie onto a second display. The error is:

"Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

I hit ok and then Pro Tools just crashes.

I've gotten this error in the past, as well as the "Bus Error," during heavy sessions, but tonight is the first time the errors are easily repeatable. Strange because yesterday this was not happening. i even made a new session with nothing but the video in the session, and moving the ref to the seond display causes the error. Any suggestions? DigiTechSupport?

PT 8.0.1cs3
Mac Pro 2x3.0gHz
6GB RAM
Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 AM

Default Re: "Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

Hi,

Also having the same error, however it occurs when I attempt to import WAV files that I recorded on another session.

Please help!

iMac i5 2.8GHz
4MB RAM
Mac OS Snow Leopard
Pro Tools 7.0.4 LE
Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Digidub, I recommend upgrading to 8.0.4.

Ryan, I am amazed you can even run PT LE 7.0.4 on Snow Leopard.

This error is apparently related to how PT manages the computer memory, so potentially could be Memory related.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidub View Post
Hey all, I've been getting a strange error tonight. It occurs anytime I try to move a Quicktime Movie onto a second display. The error is:

"Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

I hit ok and then Pro Tools just crashes.

I've gotten this error in the past, as well as the "Bus Error," during heavy sessions, but tonight is the first time the errors are easily repeatable. Strange because yesterday this was not happening. i even made a new session with nothing but the video in the session, and moving the ref to the seond display causes the error. Any suggestions? DigiTechSupport?

PT 8.0.1cs3
Mac Pro 2x3.0gHz
6GB RAM
How is that second monitor connected? Does this happen with every video or just this particular one? What format is the video (size, compression type, etc.)?

Have you tried 8.0.4 yet?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM

I havne't upgraded yet, but I plan to this week since I just finished a project.

I still get this error randomly with any session (seems to happen more regularly the more intensive the session - tons of edits, automation, etc), but for that particular session back when I posted, I think I got around it by reoutputting the video track(s) in FCP before importing, but I'll have to dbl chk and get back to you.

I have only experienced video-related error with those videos, other videos I've had no issues.

It's a second DVI output on my vid card.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidub View Post
I havne't upgraded yet, but I plan to this week since I just finished a project.

I still get this error randomly with any session (seems to happen more regularly the more intensive the session - tons of edits, automation, etc), but for that particular session back when I posted, I think I got around it by reoutputting the video track(s) in FCP before importing, but I'll have to dbl chk and get back to you.

I have only experienced video-related error with those videos, other videos I've had no issues.

It's a second DVI output on my vid card.
If reexporting the video helps, and you seem to only have problems with those specific videos, I would think there's some kind of corruption in the video itself. If the reexport is using the exact same settings as the original, then corruption would almost assuredly be the case. If you're using different settings, it may be a bug or other issue with the app creating the file or possibly with the codec being used.