Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools for VISTA will not be here this year.....

Wheres is the announcement that its coming for HD users? I realize the announcement says Mpowered and LE but I'm not sure I would take it to include HD by default.

I'm sorry for anyone that was waiting but am glad to see the announcement.

Hopefully we can get back to whats important (Music).

There is a good chance that it might be released for HD since most of HDs processing is done "On Card"

This could actually be a real life example of Vistas rumored draconian DRM coming into play because native processes everything in the box.

As far as updates go I think that whatever new technology elastic audio/whatever will be released on time simply because it still would have been supported under XP.

Whether or not to include ADC in LE is mostly a marketing decision. Modern DAWS do it in software.....

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-24-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools for VISTA possibly won`t be here this year.....

Quote:

What do you guys think about it????......

Now how stupid would that be when they promised it since the beginning of March.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 AM

Great, now I have to keep using my slow old may crash at any time computer. At this point it take 3-5 minutes for PT to even load on that dinosaur, I should've held off on building my new system until next spring.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM

Great, now I have to keep using my slow old may crash at any time computer. At this point it take 3-5 minutes for PT to even load on that dinosaur, I should've held off on building my new system until next spring. At least I can do all my upgrades my Vista system in the meantime while continuing to wait .
Old 08-24-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools for VISTA possibly won`t be here this year....

Why not pony up the whole $50 for a second boot drive with XP tweaked for PT?

Not much sympathy here for folks that don't keep an XP boot partition around for until PT Vista is not only available, but supported with Vista-compatible plug-ins and in widespread use.

XP ain't broke. Don't fix it.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 AM

At this point, that is something I am considering. But, I don't want to dual boot on the same drive partitioned because I already have some file on the Vista system.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 AM

Guys I don't really want to hop on the "bash Digi" bandwagon, but the frustrating part of this announcement is not really the Vista support. If they were releasing 7.3 on Vista via a patch, who would really care? Sure, if you love Vista, you'd hop on I guess, but the majority of us probably don't care to much.

The worst part is that we can probably expect a pretty dry fall in the way of updates/new features. I doubt we will see a 7.4 or V 8.0 until the Vista issues are resolved.

They haven't done a full rewrite on the code since v4.x or something like that. I'm crossing my fingers that this will mean far less bugs/driver issues, buffer under run errors, and all of the other things that make professionals look bad in front of clients. (sidenote: Digidesign makes up for this by giving us a revolutionary/amazing program, so I can live with the bugs if I have to)

But yeah, this is more of a wait for 64bit support, and a new version of the software. I was hoping to see it by September, but oh well... hopefully they just said winter 2007/2008 to make us proud of them when it comes out late this year

Sorry for the message board venting.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
The worst part is that we can probably expect a pretty dry fall in the way of updates/new features. I doubt we will see a 7.4 or V 8.0 until the Vista issues are resolved.

My point exactly!

We are not going to get anything useful sorted out until all this vista nonsense is put to bed, those who are saying it’s good because Digi can concentrate on more useful features are in dreamland they are not going to do anything until this lot is sorted out...

My guess is all the programmers are working on HD vista compatibility, & we will just get the recycled crippled HD code...

N
Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

My point exactly!

We are not going to get anything useful sorted out until all this vista nonsense is put to bed, those who are saying it’s good because Digi can concentrate on more useful features are in dreamland they are not going to do anything until this lot is sorted out...

My guess is all the programmers are working on HD vista compatibility, & we will just get the recycled crippled HD code...

N
I would think that Vista compatibility with LE would be the priority. The majority of HD users are in studios with dedicated custom computers, while I would say the majority of LE users are home studio hobbyists, buying their PC or laptop off the shelf. Since nearly all the computers these days come pre-loaded with vista, it seems logical that digi should get LE compatible vista out ASAP for when all the kids go back to school and get their new computers...

Of course, I think the play button working reliably would also be a priority.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools for VISTA will not be here this year.....

Why is nobody here talking about the fact that Vista has a redesigned audio subsystem that is a lot more pro audio oriented? If Digi takes the time to program for it instead of bootstrapping the program to the old audio engine, there could be significant advantages to a Vista version of PTLE. Lower latency, etc.