How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 11-11-2017, 05:48 AM

Default Re: track metering does not show panning

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Just because it's been done a certain way for decades doesn't necessarily make it right for everyone. You still don't know the exact 'contribution' as you call it unless another metering plugin is used. The ability to select pre or post fader metering as well as pan position would make things a lot simpler.

To open this up further: why shouldn't one use post fader metering, etc.? What's the reasoning behind that opinion? Not trying to pick a fight but trying to understand where you're coming from on this.
Of course people are free to do as they please, but I would think they'd be interested in how all the records they love so much over the years were made. Maybe that says something about todays records?

The contribution of a track is metered via the stereo buss or the track's subgroup master meter.

And no, it wouldn't make things simpler, it makes things more complex because you're unnecessarily having to switch metering modes. With pre fader, it's all right there in front of you at all times. Meter shows level with processing, fader and pan show contribution, group and buss meters show result. Soloing a track in SIP allows you to see one track's contribution.

Post fader metering hides what's happening with your inserts. You can be clipping or near clipping and not know it. It also means that the meter and physical position of the fader are showing you the same thing. Why would you ignore an important thing in order to see the same thing twice? Doesn't make sense.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
The industry standard Pre Fader metering (PT defaults to this as it should) that has existed in LFACs for decades negates this whole thread.

IMO, you shouldn't be using post fader metering, let alone post fader and pan metering.

The point of the meter is to allow proper gain staging of the track (pre fader but POST processing), the the physical fader and pan knob position show its contribution to the mix. This way, all requirements are satisfied in one shot. There's a reason it's been done this way for decades.
i gain stage with satson or blue cat gain plugin. And yes, i like post fader and post pan metering. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Of course people are free to do as they please, but I would think they'd be interested in how all the records they love so much over the years were made. Maybe that says something about todays records?

The contribution of a track is metered via the stereo buss or the track's subgroup master meter.

And no, it wouldn't make things simpler, it makes things more complex because you're unnecessarily having to switch metering modes. With pre fader, it's all right there in front of you at all times. Meter shows level with processing, fader and pan show contribution, group and buss meters show result. Soloing a track in SIP allows you to see one track's contribution.

Post fader metering hides what's happening with your inserts. You can be clipping or near clipping and not know it. It also means that the meter and physical position of the fader are showing you the same thing. Why would you ignore an important thing in order to see the same thing twice? Doesn't make sense.
May not make sense to you but then again what's wrong with having the choice of pre or post fader metering and pan indication? Not a bleeping thing.

QAPLA!
Old 11-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
i gain stage with satson or blue cat gain plugin. And yes, i like post fader and post pan metering. Thanks.
Quote:
May not make sense to you but then again what's wrong with having the choice of pre or post fader metering and pan indication? Not a bleeping thing.
So, no one has reasons for using post fader metering?

Post pan metering doesn't exist in PT of course.

I made my case with specific reasons and examples. I was hoping to learn something here.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
So, no one has reasons for using post fader metering?

Post pan metering doesn't exist in PT of course.

I made my case with specific reasons and examples. I was hoping to learn something here.
You did learn something here and that is that people have different ways of working/seeing things and what works for some doesn't necessarily work for all.

As to the reasons for post fader metering and pan readout I've already made my reason(s) known on that.

The line of 'that's the way it's been done before and must be done like that in the future' reminds me of the line those of us of a certain age remember hearing from our parents. And that goes: 'just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you have to do it'.

QAPLA!
Old 11-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You did learn something here .........

As to the reasons for post fader metering and pan readout I've already made my reason(s) known on that.
Please don't tell me when I've learned something and when I haven't. A belief worth holding is worth explaining/defending.

Only thing I could find was Post #8 mentioning something about a signal being unbalanced and needing panning correction. Ironically this would support pre fader metering because you'd see the imbalance and correct it with a Multi Mono Trim plugin in slot 1. Then use the knobs to place it where you want it in the mix.

Still interested in good reasons for post fader metering.

And answers to the issues like:
1. clipping being hidden from you
2. two controls showing the same info right next to each other
3. in the mix window tracks with audio showing as blank if the fader is pulled down

Old 11-12-2017, 05:13 PM

I give up - explained it as best as I could why I want what I want. And I have no need to justify it to you any further than I have. Like I said - we each work different; not saying there shouldn't be prefader only but we should be given the option of post fader operation as well. It's one extra button to enable an option - you'd still have the ability to work as YOU want. Sure beats having extra plugins for metering that one shouldn't have to use and clutter up the gui.

I'm outta here.

QAPLA!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Default track metering does not show panning

Alrighty. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:31 AM

I'm very confused by this string.

I was taught to use pre-fader metering when tracking to see the actual signal level when you're recording.

I was taught to use post-fader metering when mixing, to see the actual effects of plugins on your individual track and mix.

Are you guys saying that this is not the recommended procedure?
Old 12-04-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg27 View Post
I'm very confused by this string.

I was taught to use pre-fader metering when tracking to see the actual signal level when you're recording.

I was taught to use post-fader metering when mixing, to see the actual effects of plugins on your individual track and mix.

Are you guys saying that this is not the recommended procedure?
Not me; I prefer working as you were taught. It's why I very often have a metering plugin as my last insert if whatever plugin I'm using doesn't have it's own metering. Would love to have this as switchable.

QAPLA!