Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 11:23 PM

Default Re: PTF Sound problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Re-enable the G5. It should be in the sound panel as enabled but not default. Remember to reenable in both Playback and Record , set default record device to Line in so that it wont try to take over the G5
Thanks for your reply.

I changed USB ports which added the G5 back to Windows sound options. LG TV is still default playback device. I can't select Line In or Mic as default recording device because they aren't connected to anything - greyed out choices.

I hate Windows 10.

BTW, I love your S/N. My first car was a '65 GTO in '76. Had highly modified 389 with the folding front end - bought and left on street in San Diego while in USMC. The front end fell apart (too many wheelies) and no one had parts to fix it. lol
Old 07-18-2018, 02:28 AM

For the record, the exact same problem still exists. And since the G5 is the only recording device connected, it automatically becomes the default recording device in Windows when I turn it on. It's either use it, or select "Never Use This Device" which deletes it from the recording devices menu in Windows with no default recording device.

Either way seems to make no difference in PTF. With Asio4All drivers installed it works but sends sounds back to G5 only. With only default G5 drivers installed it errors when choosing it for Playback Engine in PTF. I don't think PTF is optimized for G5.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:08 AM

If the onboard recording options are greyed out that is where the problem is. There should be a way to re-enable them so that they can be selected. Click on a greyed out device and see if the "Properties" button is active. If it is, click on it and it should bring up a dialog box that has an option on the bottom "Use this device(enable). If you cant get the properties button to become active , frankly I'm at a loss. Your Sandra shows Nvidia audio device so it should be recognized by Windows.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 AM

Windows audio properties works for both In-Line and Microphone, both state they are working properly, and both are set to "use this device (enable)". But you can't set a device as default in Windows 10 unless it's connected to hardware. The option to set as default is greyed out.

I'm not a big fan of Sisoft Sandra. It calls the Realtek onboard audio the Gigabyte 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller, which is confusing. The Nvidia device is my GTX950 graphics card - audio is listed for Nvidia because it has HDMI which uses both audio and video, but there are no recording devices associated with any video card (that I'm aware of).

Line In and Mic are Gigabyte/Realtek. That's the onboard audio which uses Realtek software. I have a Logitech 2.1 speaker system in the bedroom that I might connect to this computer to see what happens. It's baffling that the Gigabyte/Realtek audio doesn't show as an option in PTF either.

I bought a cheap mic today just to be sure. When I plug it in I can select Microphone as default recording device in Windows. It didn't change anything for PTF - didn't even add the mic. Would think it should have recognized the mic as a Realtek audio device.

Bedroom computer is Window 7 Ultimate - so might try installing PTF on that to see what happens too. If it has the same problems, I know it's the G5 and PTF which don't play together well. If it works on there, then I know it's a Windows 10 problem with G5.

My wife and I owned and operated a custom computer shop for 15 years. I built all of our systems and did most of the repairs. I'm no stranger to troubleshooting but this one has me stumped. lol

I do appreciate your help. Thanks again. :)
Old 07-18-2018, 12:49 PM

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you are logged on as Administrator. If the microphone is recognized than it means that your motherboard has onboard audio, right? So technically both Playback and Recording shouldn't have anything grayed out unless it's disabled in some other control panel or something similar in registry, component services, etc.
Sorry I couldn't be more help. PS: the guy I bought my 64 from in 1982 bought it from the first owner off the San Diego naval base when he got back from V.N. in 1973. It was originally the race car of a Navy officer's wife!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:35 AM

Yes, I use an admin account and have tried installing drivers and PTF as admin. No need to apologize, you've been very helpful. :)

I was stationed at MCRD San Diego for 2 years in '76-'77. A fellow jarhead sold the '65 to me for $400, he'd acquired it from a guy who'd crashed it into his parked Pinto and didn't have insurance. I put a yellow fender on the front left, which was never repainted. The only other modification was to add low profile M/T M50s with Cragar rims on back. It only did 120mph but got there very fast. Couldn't spin those M/Ts without oil - just jumped off the starting line. That Goat was my first love - you know what they say about first loves - everything else is compared to them and can never surpass them. :)

Thanks again. :)