Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 AM

Default Quicktime at 24 fps reads 24.x in PT HD

Hiya

I get 24 frame QT DV picture from the avid assistant. He uses FCP to output, then he conforms the DV to 24fps.

We have used this method for a few years on various films and the QT always agrees with itself....

In PT 8 HD the QT region now says 24.2 or something.

I don't know if the actual play back speed is being affected.

The accompanying sound omfs all match perfectly.

if you open the QT IN QT and get info it says 24fps with no variation. It is also verifies as 24fps in FCP. I know that these avid assistants are ROCK SOLID. The only thing that's changed is me going from PT7 to PT 8.

If tech support is interested I can create a small clip of the DV and drop it somewhere....

thanks

scott

ps - my pt session settings are - timecode - 30 fps feet frames 24. (it matches their visual window code as well)

Last edited by smlworld; 05-26-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: adds
Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Avid

Default Re: Quicktime at 24 fps reads 24.x in PT HD

Quote:
He uses FCP to output
I think that may be the problem. Did he specifically set the parameters in FCP to be 24fps? Or did he possibly use 'current settings'?

FCP (actually Quicktime) has a problem where it won't actually output at the correct frame rate unless you specifically set it. Even then I've seen some oddness with it.

Verifying in QT and FCP will also give you incorrect info, as they both use the QT engine - so the video may actually be 24.xfps, but QT and FCP will both read it as 24P. Try opening it in VLC or other media transcoder (MPEG Streamclip is another good one) and I bet you'll see a different frame rate.