Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-18-2018, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Another AAE 6101 CPU Overload Error Thread

So I did a few things and I was able to have a decent couple hour session before a CPU overload crash...

-I trashed the prefs
-Adjusted my monitor resolution 1 step down
-Only have the Edit Window Open during tracking, and only have Mix window open when mixing
-Closed my UAD Console screen after setting levels

I still get the error but like I said I'm able to have a somewhat of a session before crashing. When I take a day off of work I'll contact Avid support and really try to pinpoint the root problem and let you guys know what worked for me. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 AM

I am on a 12 core 2010 mac pro and have been chasing this exact issue for a while now. For me, I can have pro tools running with no session loaded and my CPU load will go from zero to red line at random intervals. This computer geek-benches at over 24k so I should have plenty of available juice. Something changed midway through the Pro Tools 12 revisions and I now have to disable hyper threading in order to record anything. So far, everything points to Avid. Doesn't matter what sampling rate, converter, drivers, mac OS version, hard drive, GPU, or computer (we have 3 similar boxes in house i can use to alternate hardware). Nothing fixes it other than dumbing down the CPU by disabling hyper threading. Avid support took me down a rabbit hole of audio interface bingo that made no difference and then they basically closed the case when they ran out of ideas.

I just got a couple new SSD's from amazon that will allow me to do some fresh experiments. I have threads here and gear slutz that document the issues and the things I have tried to get my DSP back. Other than lowering expectations of what you can do with your computer, no one has found a real solution.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:48 PM

I used a mid 2012 Macbook Pro for a lot of recording up until last year, and I was getting a fair bit of 6101's too.

There's a setting in system preferences to keep the computer from dynamically switching between graphics cards - check (or uncheck) that and see if it helps at all. I believe it's a box you check to force the comp to use dedicated graphics 100% of the time, but I don't recall, and I'm on PC now, here in the studio.

You may also want to try an older version of PT. I'm pretty happy with 12.4, at the moment.

Have you tried disconnecting all that hardware, aside from the UAD interface? How is the performance if you do?

I never was able to lick the 6101 problem completely, and I didn't have even half the stuff hooked up to my MBP that you do, so it might be time to consider upgrading the machine.

Sorry - I know that's probably not what you want to hear
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 06-18-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
I used a mid 2012 Macbook Pro for a lot of recording up until last year, and I was getting a fair bit of 6101's too.

There's a setting in system preferences to keep the computer from dynamically switching between graphics cards - check (or uncheck) that and see if it helps at all. I believe it's a box you check to force the comp to use dedicated graphics 100% of the time, but I don't recall, and I'm on PC now, here in the studio.

You may also want to try an older version of PT. I'm pretty happy with 12.4, at the moment.

Have you tried disconnecting all that hardware, aside from the UAD interface? How is the performance if you do?

I never was able to lick the 6101 problem completely, and I didn't have even half the stuff hooked up to my MBP that you do, so it might be time to consider upgrading the machine.

Sorry - I know that's probably not what you want to hear
Thanks for the graphics card tip, I think that's a big part of the crashing. I'll try this tonight.

I've tried disconnecting all hardware already, dis-aggregated to just the UA Console and still had the error.

I saw some one on here un-install the Avid Application Manager and it worked for them, so I'm going to try that too.

In regards to getting a better CPU due to my hardware, I think it will help.... I'm just hesitant because I've seen someone on here with 12 Cores and 32GB get the same errors in a small session with no plug-ins. When I get another UAD console to track my TR-8S drum machine I think I'll need a new comp for sure even though the UAD has its own DSP. I was hoping after I aggregated the TR-8S I could run the USB inputs through the UAD virtual channels but couldn't

Last edited by DonnieJ; 06-18-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bom619 View Post
I am on a 12 core 2010 mac pro and have been chasing this exact issue for a while now. For me, I can have pro tools running with no session loaded and my CPU load will go from zero to red line at random intervals. This computer geek-benches at over 24k so I should have plenty of available juice. Something changed midway through the Pro Tools 12 revisions and I now have to disable hyper threading in order to record anything. So far, everything points to Avid. Doesn't matter what sampling rate, converter, drivers, mac OS version, hard drive, GPU, or computer (we have 3 similar boxes in house i can use to alternate hardware). Nothing fixes it other than dumbing down the CPU by disabling hyper threading. Avid support took me down a rabbit hole of audio interface bingo that made no difference and then they basically closed the case when they ran out of ideas.

I just got a couple new SSD's from amazon that will allow me to do some fresh experiments. I have threads here and gear slutz that document the issues and the things I have tried to get my DSP back. Other than lowering expectations of what you can do with your computer, no one has found a real solution.
I don't get spikes to the red or core spikes. I did get this before though and it threw a -9173 error. I resolved this by completely ditching Native Instruments. I had my libraries on an external disk and made sure my core distribution was set per NI, but still had spikes on the 4th core. If you have NI, ditch it. LOL. I'm thinking of selling my Komplete Package but putting it in the Avid Marketplace would be a dick move haha.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieJ View Post
I saw some one on here un-install the Avid Application Manager and it worked for them, so I'm going to try that too.
Oh yeah - def get rid of that piece of junk, although I'd be surprised if it caused 6101's.

Quote:
I'm just hesitant because I've seen someone on here with 12 Cores and 32GB get the same errors in a small session with no plug-ins.
Right, but keep in mind we don't really know the particulars of his situation, so it could be entirely unrelated. Either way, you're still rocking a 6 year old machine (and a laptop at that), so it may be time to set her down.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
Oh yeah - def get rid of that piece of junk, although I'd be surprised if it caused 6101's.

Right, but keep in mind we don't really know the particulars of his situation, so it could be entirely unrelated. Either way, you're still rocking a 6 year old machine (and a laptop at that), so it may be time to set her down.
iMac Pro ...... hmmmmm
Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 PM

Already had Automatic Graphics unchecked, it was part of the Optimization process. Time to uninstall this Aplication Manager and see how it goes.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 PM

Had a 4 hour session, no crashing. Looks like it was the Application Manager for me. I’ll push it tomorrow with plug-ins and see how it goes!
Old 06-21-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Downgrade to Sierra did not work.
Upgrade to windows* might.

*if accompanied by a half way decent PC