Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 PM

Default MIDI playback problem

Hi everybody,
I'm very new to Mbox2 and Pro Tools and i want to ask something that may look funny to you all but i really don't know what i'm doing wrong.I create an instrument track, i set ins and outs as shown in the tutorials and record using the Xpand.Everything seems to be recorded OK but when i play the track i recorded its totally out of time.I hear half the notes i recorded and even these are out of time.What could be set wrong here ? I'm very happy with my Mbox2 and all the bundled software and this is the only problem that i faced.I'm using version 7.3 cs3 on a laptop pc (HP 9393) and with an M-AUDIO Keystation midi keyboard.The keyboard is connected via USB on my laptop.Thank you for reading... See you...
Old 06-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: MIDI playback problem

Any audio along side the MIDI data? Try calculating the latency induced and enter this into 'MIDI Track Offsets'. How and what, are in the Reference Guide under 'MIDI Track Offsets'.

filosofem
Old 06-11-2007, 02:14 AM

What makes you thing that this is a latency problem? Is it sth that can be fixed or not? I will check everything where you told me and see what i can do.Thank you very,very much for answering so fast...See you...
Old 06-11-2007, 02:23 AM

If you have a printed audio track beside a MIDI track played back together the MIDI track would seem to be dragging behind (latency), to counter this, you Offset it, so they playback in tandem (in sync).

However, this may not be the case at all.

filosofem
Old 06-11-2007, 06:43 AM

I can find no information at all about the HP 9393 anywhere; are you sure you got the model number right? Posting details about your system as recommended in the two threads at the top of this forum (Help us help you, and the General Troubleshooting thread) would certainly help us figure out your problem.

Is that laptop using a dual-core processor? If so, have you applied the Microsoft XP dual-core hotfix? Not doing so can cause erratic MIDI behavior.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-11-2007, 11:40 AM

If you enter HP site and somewhere search for pavilion dv9393 you'll see.Thank you very much for replying again and again.My problem disappeared when i made another instrument track and used a click to record.I don't know if it has sth to do with this but know everything is under control.It was pretty easy for me to record and work with audio but i think there is much to learn about midi.Another question: Is it wrong to assign to every track different instances of effects and not use an aux track? It is easier for me to work this way.Do i loose sth? Pro Tools rules.I imported tracks i recorded earlier using other DAWs and they simpy sound better.No turning back for me.I just got to learn........... Thanx a lot !!!Hope i'll be able to help you or anybody else some day...
Old 06-11-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Is it wrong to assign to every track different instances of effects and not use an aux track?
It depends: what kind of tracks are you using in the first place? What kind of "effects" (plugins)? What is it you are trying to achieve?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 AM

I am also getting this from time to time, its very annoying. I thought it might be related to a specific plugin, but it happens with all midi plugins. I am using Fxpansion VST-RTAS Adapter, maybe that is the problem? Petros, are using it too? and do you have the play problem? (protools doesn't always play when the play key is pressed) I wonder if its related...

Restart seems to help for a while.

My Setup:

Pro Tools LE 7.3.1CS
DIGI002
Win XP pro
AMD Athlon 64 dual 4400+
Asus A8N-E
2GB Corsair Value Select RAM
1xWD HD IDE, 3xWD HD SATA
GIGABYTE Radeon X800 XL
Adaptec Firewire adaptor
Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 AM

From what I can see from finally finding the OP's system on the HP website (thanks alot for not posting details about your system as requested and making me go search for it myself... very helpful ) the dv9393 uses the Intel Centrino Duo Mobile processor.

Assaf, you're using the Athlon 64 dual.

Both dual core processors. Have you both applied the Microsoft Dual Core Hotfix? Not doing so (as I have already mentioned) can cause very similar problems to the ones you are experiencing.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:50 PM

Hi Everybody,
First of all i would like to thank everyone of you for replying so fast to my problem.Sorry for not writing back for so long but every summer i move to another place for my work and i don't have an internet connection there.I think i solved the midi thing and now everything works ok everytime.I must say once more that i'm very very happy with the mbox and whatever happens is not a PT or an Mbox problem but my lack of experience with them.Everything is more simple with PT and now i don't need one million plug-ins to do my job.For me the ignition pack is more than enough and covers all my needs.Thanx once again and keep on rockin'.......