Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2011, 04:40 PM

Thumbs down AAF Files From PT 9 into Media Composer 5.5/TRUE COMPATIBILITY

this is intended for AVID....please wake up!
I am on a huge feature and your program is seriously lame that it doesn't work better.

i am very well aware of the import and export aaf/omf features of protools...
i can create aafs/omfs all day long... i also know how to bounce/export a .aif or .wav files add timecode to the filenames so it can later be imported and sync'd up in media composer... having to bounce a full audio file is clearly a work around for a lack of compatibility. Sometimes i understand its essential with huge sound effects sessions and such so i get it.... but for music and dialog it seems that its clearly a workaround to not having full program to program compatibility.

my frequent and current scenario to illustrate why in the feature and i would imagine TV world the current compatibility isn't enough..

feature films with lots and i mean lots of picture changes....
each time there is a picture change i must go thru re-conform/re-edit/address notes...then bounce out new aif's or wavs.. give them to the picture dept.. they have to cut the files in and adjust certain levels... (oh media composer doesn't allow you to copy and paste volume automation like protools so...) basically all in all its a time consuming and often extremely late night event.

the first problem:

you can't send an aaf/omf to Media Composer and actually have it work in media composer... it imports but doesn't find the media... relinking is seriously time consuming file by file...

second problem:
Even if the AAF/OMF could be imported into Media Composer.. then following problem arises..

you can only send consolidated AAFs to the Media Composer... meaning you can never relink media between the software's because the AAF generates new media...Also the editor on Media Composer has very little handles on the audio you give and they can't change an edit or anything...basically their hands are tied... so all in all a solution for exporting AAF/OMF with full parent files is essential to work flow and compatibility..

Third problem:

volume info, pan info, and any other fades and such do not go across... So on the media composer side even if they could import AAF's/OMF's (which they can't) all of the volume info, fade info, and pan info will have to be re-done. seriously lame..

the Ideal scenario for me and i would imagine some others...

i could cut together audio to picture say a reel in a session and then export it to AAF/OMF... give that to the picture dept... who puts it into their Media Composer... The editor could then make edits while having full access to change the length of a file or extend a section ( because they have non consolidated files)...they also would have all my volumes pans etc... they could then give me an output sequence when they change picture which i can import... I could change some things and fix others... give them back an AAF (only a small file because they have the media)... they could import and we are all good!!!

Having this sort of workflow would for sure benefit a good many of your owners... The post users are a huge $$$ revenue for Avid I would imagine..

how bout a little help with FINALLY making your products work together!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:29 PM

Default Re: AAF Files From PT 9 into Media Composer 5.5/TRUE COMPATIBILITY

I think you are better off rethinking your workflow... The picture department shouldn't need seperate elements from you if they are still editing. Let them worry about the story, you worry about the sound. Unless of course you can Bill all your hours, in that case give them all they want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteron View Post
this is intended for AVID....please wake up!
I am on a huge feature and your program is seriously lame that it doesn't work better.

i am very well aware of the import and export aaf/omf features of protools...
i can create aafs/omfs all day long... i also know how to bounce/export a .aif or .wav files add timecode to the filenames so it can later be imported and sync'd up in media composer... having to bounce a full audio file is clearly a work around for a lack of compatibility. Sometimes i understand its essential with huge sound effects sessions and such so i get it.... but for music and dialog it seems that its clearly a workaround to not having full program to program compatibility.

my frequent and current scenario to illustrate why in the feature and i would imagine TV world the current compatibility isn't enough..

feature films with lots and i mean lots of picture changes....
each time there is a picture change i must go thru re-conform/re-edit/address notes...then bounce out new aif's or wavs.. give them to the picture dept.. they have to cut the files in and adjust certain levels... (oh media composer doesn't allow you to copy and paste volume automation like protools so...) basically all in all its a time consuming and often extremely late night event.

the first problem:

you can't send an aaf/omf to Media Composer and actually have it work in media composer... it imports but doesn't find the media... relinking is seriously time consuming file by file...

second problem:
Even if the AAF/OMF could be imported into Media Composer.. then following problem arises..

you can only send consolidated AAFs to the Media Composer... meaning you can never relink media between the software's because the AAF generates new media...Also the editor on Media Composer has very little handles on the audio you give and they can't change an edit or anything...basically their hands are tied... so all in all a solution for exporting AAF/OMF with full parent files is essential to work flow and compatibility..

Third problem:

volume info, pan info, and any other fades and such do not go across... So on the media composer side even if they could import AAF's/OMF's (which they can't) all of the volume info, fade info, and pan info will have to be re-done. seriously lame..

the Ideal scenario for me and i would imagine some others...

i could cut together audio to picture say a reel in a session and then export it to AAF/OMF... give that to the picture dept... who puts it into their Media Composer... The editor could then make edits while having full access to change the length of a file or extend a section ( because they have non consolidated files)...they also would have all my volumes pans etc... they could then give me an output sequence when they change picture which i can import... I could change some things and fix others... give them back an AAF (only a small file because they have the media)... they could import and we are all good!!!

Having this sort of workflow would for sure benefit a good many of your owners... The post users are a huge $$$ revenue for Avid I would imagine..

how bout a little help with FINALLY making your products work together!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 AM

Mysteron,

It's funny I just made a similar post (not quite as eloquent as you though).

However, why even have an intermediary format like AAF. Why not just put both MC and PT on the same Sequence format. The video guys don't need all our pan and automation, but it should still get edited along with whatever changes they are doing.

Just like someone on an Express (or whatever its called now) can edit a Symphony sequence (without the effects) why not have that same interop with PT.

I know it's a tall order, but this is nothing new. It should have been sorted out by now.

Maybe now that the music business is in the toilet, we'll get a little more love. Well at least I can dream!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 AM

A few folks I know who write session translation software got an OMF I'd produced for them to take a look at. It was produced by Protool 9.02 on Win7x64.

They told me it was the most convoluted thing they'd ever seen.

Hey, maybe they're working on something completely new and thus Avid Protools 9 gets little attention in the department cross compatibility to the Avid Media Composer.

I've heard from several people who are tired of Protools and would rather do feature films, editing the sound in something similar to the Media Composer, at least effects. Clip editor, bins, sequences. All easy stuff that Protools never got.

Abandon your dreams guys. They'll do what they will, and we won't know a thing until they're done, if there's anything getting done.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Wink Re: AAF Files From PT 9 into Media Composer 5.5/TRUE COMPATIBILITY

I guess I'm dreaming.... Media Composer is by far smarter for post with its bin's and sub clips etc... i completely agree... if only they could figure out a way to merge the two products for us post people... I think they would get quite a few people willing to throw done for this kind of compatibility..
again... i guess i'm freakin' dreaming big time...
thanks for the replies.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm dreaming.... Media Composer is by far smarter for post with its bin's and sub clips etc... i completely agree... if only they could figure out a way to merge the two products for us post people... I think they would get quite a few people willing to throw done for this kind of compatibility..
thanks for the replies.
Well...they could bring back AudioVision....

phil p
Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post

phil p
Dare to dream!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
thanks for the replies.
Perfect Idea. Than most companies at least here in Germany will just persuade their cutters to do the audio as well, just because it is possible.

Brilliant lets make AVID destroy our jobs. Not that I don't think the workflow could use some improvements. There is plenty of room for improvements, but if PT get even closer to MC than it already is, I guess I will have to change back to DP again.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post

phil p
can I second that emotion?
Old 07-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
Perfect Idea. Than most companies at least here in Germany will just persuade their cutters to do the audio as well, just because it is possible.

Brilliant lets make AVID destroy our jobs. Not that I don't think the workflow could use some improvements. There is plenty of room for improvements, but if PT get even closer to MC than it already is, I guess I will have to change back to DP again.

Just my two cents.
If what separates us from a paying gig is a piece software then we are all doomed. I think most of us work and therefore use ProTools. Not the other way around.

I like to think that it is talent and professionalism that keeps us working. (as naive as that might sound)