Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 AM

Default Network Attached Storage (NAS) drives

Is anyone using these for storage/backup yet? I'm specifically interested in them because they are not OS specific, so I could use one as a file server and be able to grab files from either my macs or pcs. Sound effects, samples, my texture library for 3d models, etc.

The other thing that would be nice would be for backing up projects that are spread out across macs and pcs. There is then one place to drag files to from all computers, and it's in a portable case that I can take off site if need be.

Just curious if anyone has tryed these yet and if they think they're worth it or not.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Network Attached Storage (NAS) drives

Hi John
I have been using Qnap model TS439 Pro
So far as an ftp/backup server,and using it as a Transfer Volume for Video,works really well and the GUI is also very user friendly,easy to setup,it also supports ISCSI,-havent try that yet with PT and not sure if it will work.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 AM

Everything here is automatically backed up to a Intel SS4200 SoHo server that I have running Windows Home Server. They are 199.00@ Newegg (plus the OS and drives). The machine ships with a embedded version of Linux running EMC Retrospect. However it's a one client license. WHS offered some huge advantages but it may leave Mac users in the cold. HP has WHS working with Time Machine but I'm not sure how they are doing it. I'm WAY leary of putting Macdrive on whats essentially Windows Small Business Server 2003.

I started with a simple NAS and ended up with something very nice.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 PM

Thanks guys -

I'm still researching these, I didn't realize how many options there were.

Does anyone know if the more basic ones can be seen by older mac OS's?

Most don't seem to have a spec for OS support, but so far of the ones that do they all say mac OSX 10.4.11 or later.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 AM

I just just finally got a chance to set one of these up, a macally unit that holds one drive and doubles as a NAS and an external usb drive. I bought it for two reasons:
1. I have a firewire enclosure that uses the same case design and it has worked great for me.
2. It is highly portable.

WHAT A PIECE OF $#1%

The documentation for it is horrible. I went to their site looking for newer software/manuals and the site still says "coming soon" even though the drive has been on the market for at least a year. I could not access the drive to do the initial config from snow leopard or Win7, the only way I could get it set up was to reboot on an old vista partition. Once working, it does work, yes. But the file transfer speeds are completely laughable, around 5MB/s most of the time.

So to write a lot of large files to it, you might as well just hook it up as a USB drive. I think I might as well pull the 1TB drive from it and stick a smaller one in, the only use for this is a central location for my library of sound effects and textures for 3d models.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix109 View Post
Hi John
I have been using Qnap model TS439 Pro
So far as an ftp/backup server,and using it as a Transfer Volume for Video,works really well and the GUI is also very user friendly,easy to setup,it also supports ISCSI,-havent try that yet with PT and not sure if it will work.
I have the exact same model and I love it. It does some great tricks with itunes and twonkymedia server too.

I bought a cheap dlink and took it right back. this thing was about 30 times as fast.

With this and cronosync I have archives of all my media drives created every night.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:29 PM

Just waking this thread up - hope that's the right thing to do

Want to report that I have just tried recording directly to my NASBOX (QNAP HS210) which sits upstairs connected via ethernet

And it works fine!

I'm a voiceover so only one or two tracks

Will keep an eye on it

What I actually wanted to do was mirror/backup the dedicated audio drive in the studio up to the nasbox so that I a) have a backup and b) can send download links for clients to pick up their wavs....anyone else tried that?

www.soundcloud.com/piersgibbon

VOICEOVER - Avalon 737sp/Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Neumann + Rode inside an Esmono voiceover studio (+ Source Connect, Prima LT, Sonifex TBU, Sonnox plugins)

Record: MBP 13 inch mid 2012, 2.9 ghz i7 8gig ram, PT 11, GDrive Professional Ext Hard Drive

Backup:15 inch early 2008 MBP, OSX 10.10.2

(+Windows 7 PC running Audio TX isdn and tbu codec)

Edit: PT Express 10.3.4 on 13-inch, Late 2010 MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4