Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM

Default Copy Paste Automation for Documentary Interviews?

Hey Avid,

I am working on a 30min behind the scenes documentary with many interviews with like 5 people. How can I quickly copy paste all of the automation settings for from the previous interviews onto the corresponding ones?

I have been first putting everything into preview mode, then getting the settings I need from from my 5 choice plugins. Then I save these parameters as presets, and then do a manual write too all... then once I have that interview done I can now recall the settings from each of these plugins the next time this character appears from the presets... but it takes FOREVER to bring up the first plugin, find the preset, bring up the second plugin, find the preset, bring up the 5th plugin... no lets do the same for the lav track!!! now we can write to all... Its taking way too long. Any way I can get the same effect faster?

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Copy Paste Automation for Documentary Interviews?

If you are keeping the tracks consistent you can place a marker at the first instance of the interview and then at any subsequent appearance of the same person, go back to that maker and play a little bit to get the automation to read. Then turn the automation to "write" and go back to the new interview and either play through it or highlight the section and hit "Command + Option + /".

-Richard

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 AM

If it's only 5 different people, why not make one track for each? Then you don't need to copy automation at all.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
If it's only 5 different people, why not make one track for each? Then you don't need to copy automation at all.
Far too late I see that this would have been the smartest most logical thing to do... 6 months ago I would have done this back when I was an LE user but after getting HD (and finding out that automation would save me tracks and processing power) I have really pushed myself to having more organized mixes... So, I have been working hart to get use to really tight edits... this documentary caught me off guard. I will remember this next time for sure!!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM

Do you have a control surface? You could use snapshot features on the ICON.

If not, beneath preview is capture, read up on that. You could just put your cursor where you want to copy and opt-click on capture then go to the selection where you want to paste and just enable plugins and the track you want in latch then punch capture and write to all. Repeat punch, write to all wherever you need those plugin settings.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Only enable plugin automation. Drop your cursor on the track and clip whose eq you want. Suspend automation. Go to the next clip, highlight it and hit cmd-opt-/. Then repeat for all clips.

Hope that helps.

JR