Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-02-2003, 11:25 AM

Default Digi001 versus Mbox

Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted in the DUC. I would appreciate some of your opinions on the following situation. I have a Digi001 running LE 5.3.1 on Windows XP. I have an outboard 12 channel mixer that I am using with the Digi001 so I am just using 2 I/O between the Digi001 and the mixer. All of my instruments go into the mixer. Instead of upgradeing to LE 6.1, I was considering selling the Digi001 and buying an Mbox with LE 6.1. I would like the flexibility of using the Protools with my notebook as well. So, my questions are.

1) Given the limited amount of info above, does this make any sense?

2) Is there any sound quality issues with USB versus the Digi001 PCI card?

3) Does using USB versus the Digi001 PCI card help with DAE errors and other compatibility issues? (for example, I have 2 profiles on my XP machine because Protools locks up if my Soundblaster Live card is enabled, so I have to disable it).

4) It looks like the Mbox comes with some plug-ins (Reason, Amplitude, T-Racks, etc.). But I read a post that said they were not included in the box and the CD was sent upon registration and the deal expire at the end of August. Are the plug-ins included or not?

Thanks,

Richard
Old 10-02-2003, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Digi001 versus Mbox

I'm bumping you up, Richard, though I can't advise you on MBox. ...just get 6.1.1 asap ...
By the way, did you get the biz moved and settled?...and please let me know when you may can look at the DATs for me, but no big hurry on that.
thanks, Roy
Old 10-02-2003, 10:30 PM

Why are you not using the 001 to it's full capacity? If you have any decent mixer it will have either direct outs or inserts that can be used as direct outs, allowing you to track up to 8 tracks analog...so why limit yourself?
Old 10-03-2003, 11:47 AM

Roy,

We are still in the temporary facility. They had problems with the roof leaking after the repair and now we are having problems with the color of the walls. Instead of replacing the sheet rock, they cut about 2-3ft off the bottom and replaced only that part. They have painted 4 times and the paint still doesn't match. You can see where the cut was made. Hopefully we will be back in a few weeks. I will try to mess with the DATs a little this weekend. Is LE 6.1 more stable than 5.3.3?

where02190,

There are several reasons why I am not using the Digi001 to the fullest. The biggest reason is probably ignorance. I do not have a lot of experience with recording gear. I use this in my room and record everything myself. The only reason I use the external mixer is so I can leave my keyboard modules and guitar amp connected all of the time. It also also low latency monitoring. I am not sure what the other inputs would do for me. But I am open to suggestions. I have had the Digi001 for a couple of years but consider myself a newbie.

Richard
Old 10-03-2003, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Roy,

We are still in the temporary facility. They had problems with the roof leaking after the repair and now we are having problems with the color of the walls. Instead of replacing the sheet rock, they cut about 2-3ft off the bottom and replaced only that part. They have painted 4 times and the paint still doesn't match. You can see where the cut was made. Hopefully we will be back in a few weeks. I will try to mess with the DATs a little this weekend. Is LE 6.1 more stable than 5.3.3?

Richard
Hi Richard,
Man, I know how you feel on the repairs. Since the storm hit, what...July 22nd?, we have had several 'crews' work on our house. First, a new fence, then 4 different crews to fix my chimney alone. A whole new roof went up 2 weeks ago finally, and Monday, they will repair the ceilings in 4 bedrooms here. I'm really relieved that it's almost done.
Two straight days of roofers banging above me with Latin disco music blaring from a Boombox, and me trying to write... ...well, that was a trip.
On 6.1.1 being more stable than 5.3, all I can say is that it is for me. With 5.3 and the prior versions, at best, I would still get errors from time to time. In 6.1.1, the only error I've gotten is the BTD 'bug' error, and it's been very rare. It has not backed me into a corner yet though, because the only session that wouldn't bounce for me, I sent to Bastiaan and he did a BTD for me on his mondo pc(thanks, sir), no problem.
But Richard, the new features on 6.1.1 are really fine. The ability to use Reason alone is enough.(with it, you could load those samples I sent you into ReDrum in about a minute, and play them on your keyboard). But there are many other things, obvious once you get into it, that make it superior to 5.3 and prior versions.
So for me, it was 5.3 with the standard errors...or the superior 6.1.1 with no errors other than a rare BTD prompt.
If I were you, I would go with the new.
Just let me know about the DATs when you can...hope baby girl's doing ok.......

-Roy
Old 10-03-2003, 02:47 PM

Hi! I had an Mbox, and currently have a Digi001 and an AMIII. I have the 2 of them as well as an SB Live! 5.1 living together quite happily. The Mbox was great, and if my Digi001 died tomorrow, I'd replace it with an Mbox, simply because I have an HD rig for doing recording of the multiple I/O stuff like drums, and the Mbox is portable. As far as audio quality- the Mbox is actually pretty close, IMO. 001 has midi built in, which is nice if no other nidi interface is hooked up. Haven't used my 001 midi yet tho.

If you list the gear you are using, some suggestions for routing and such would be easy to help you with. For one, I would be using a patchbay, and normal your gear from it to the mixer. For no-latency monitoring, mult'ing via patchbay is another way to go. To utilize the pre's in the mixer, and have no-lat. monitoring, normal out to patchbay from the direct out's of the mixer for "most used" gear, and then any gear above the available inputs on the 001 can simply be patched in as needed. Unless you are doing multiple in stuff like live drums for instance, or running outboard equip for mixdown, the Mbox would work fine. The big question is why do you want or need to switch?

As far as your last question about included plug-ins- call Digi (their 1-800 number is listed on the main site). Spoke to them yesterday actually, was on hold for about 10 mins, and the guy answered my question in less than a minute. Get the name of who you spoke to, and call back at a diff time if you doubt the person's answer, to compare what info you get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:19 PM

Nikki-k,

I am using the mixer portion of a Yamaha MD8, which gives 12 analog inputs. I have an Alesis D4 drum module (may sell it), Proteus 1, Proteus 3/World and Korg M3R. Since I run these in stereo that eats up 8 channels on the MD8. Two of the remaining inputs are for my guitar rig in stereo. The other two inputs are free. I occassionaly use one for a mono input of my acoustic guitar.

As for wanting/needing to switch, I guess neither really. I do not necessarily want to or need to. I do have the problem with the Soundblaster which is just inconvienent, not a big problem. I know you and others have it working, but I cannot make it work. They are on separate interrupts, etc. I have changed slots and everything else and I just cannot make it work. I guess my reasoning for possibly changing is I would like to upgrade to LE 6.1. That upgrade costs me $75. If I sell the Digi001 for even $500 (which I probably could) I could buy the Mbox with LE 6.1, have a portable solution I could carry with me to work on drum tracks with my notebook and get the Digi001 card out of my main machine. It just seemed like win, win, win for me, assuming the audio quality is equal. But my lack of knowledge is why I am asking.

Richard

Old 10-03-2003, 11:52 PM

Hi! Cool gear Funny thing is, my Dad went thru a similar situation not too long ago.

First up, if you choose to stay with the 001: A real pain, but have you tried doing a fresh install of Win XP, and letting those drivers install rather than going for the ones provided with the SB? Oh- what model SB btw? I *abuse* my current Win XP install pretty heavily, playing some online FPS games, graphics editing, tons of surfing, software install/uninstall, registry edits, etc. Some days Im suprised it runs at all-lol.

I would suggest a patchbay. A decent 48-point TRS (balanced 1/4") user configurable bay can be had for under $100 these days. Setting the patchbay up as "normalled" for at least the gear you have would work well. Run the outs from each piece into the rear of the bay, and use the corresponding (upper or lower) point (also on the back of the bay) to run to the MD8. Include the stereo outs from your guitar rig in this. (btw- mic'd, or DI?). That way, all your gear is audible without the computer on, and changing the "default" routing is simple, and all from the front. (patch bay cables are not too expensive, short and neat, or you can make 'em yourself). I would then route the remaining 2 inputs on the MD8 to the patchbay, next to the others, so you have all 12 ins lined up nicely. Next, route the "ins" for the 001 (or the Mbox if you choose) to the patchbay. This way, you can patch ANYTHING from the front of the patchbay, including a piece of gear you bring home, friend brings over, etc. Very flexable That eats up 20 of the pairs of points (40 points so far)if you run the entire patchbay normalled; running the first 10 normalled, and the remaining points as "isolated" is another choice. Want to record some guitar? Patch from the "guitar rig out" points on the bay to the "Digi in" points, and walla! good to go! There are many ways to route things, and it could end up filling a good deal of space here. Feel free to email me if you like. My current setup (HD rig) has about 150 points loaded; I use First Aid tape to mark the face of the bays. I use colored Sharpies to mark it this way, nice and easy to read if I forget what is where.

IMO, the pre's on either the Digi001 or Mbox are *better* than the ones on the Yamaha. Dont get me wrong- Yamaha does make some great gear, and the MD8 was something I almost got at one time. The patchbay will allow you to route very easily, and will allow you to use the Digi pre's instead. With an alternate patchbay setup, monitoring via the MD8 mixer is still possible, even while the SAME input is routed to the Digi in's for recording.

For portability AND Pro Tools use, the Mbox cannot be beat IMO. Yeah, the 002r is "portable," but just not quite as portable- heheheh. There are some caveats, as with anything. The Mbox needs USB power to be close to or better than spec. I found this out when my old motherboard (A Gigabyte) did not provide proper spec. I added a USB PCI card, and all was perfect. I'd run at a 256 buffer most of the time, and I did not see anything wrong with the pre's in it. I dont find the pre's in my 001 to be significantly better. A tiny bit, but not enough to make me say "No way!" to an Mbox. Being in a tight spot with cash does suck- I feel for ya there. If you truly want portability, and the transactions you speak of will get you where you need to be for both portability and software, then why not? But, think about how much you will actually use the portability side, and what you would use it for. Also, if planning to use an existing laptop you own, I would take it to a local dealer and see in person if the Mbox will work fine with it. The MD8 you have is pretty portable, and probably great for doin scratch tracks and such. Nothing worse than selling something you like to obtain something that "looks" to be a better solution, only to find everything was fine, or better, before, and now there is no cash to get back.

As I said, feel free to email with more specific questions if you prefer. Hope that babble helps a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.