Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-12-2002, 01:40 AM

Default Mbox+powerbook G4 versus Mbox+ibook

yoz... i heard that there are problems hooking up the mbox with an ibook.
are the problems serious?

and that there are less if not no problems with the powerbook G4.
how true are all these rumours?

anyone currently using mbox with powerbook G4s and ibooks please advise. i am want to get the mbox and a laptop, but am wondering which to get. ibook or powerbook g4.

thanks
Old 03-12-2002, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Mbox+powerbook G4 versus Mbox+ibook

hey mouthdrummer,

if you're going to have the microphone in the same room as the computer, just FORGET ABOUT the Ti. it gets so noisy when the fans come in it's simply useless [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] (unless you dont mind have vocal takes recorded with A LOT of pink noise).

i have the icebook500 with emi2|6 and logic plus ptools free. It works, and silently. Yes the icebook HD may make some very slight noise but that wont be captured at 1 feet with a cardioid mic.
The icebook is not cpu monster though (maybe the current 600@100bus is better here). You cant have several top reverbs at the same time.
BTW, the older 500 ti does 30% more reverbs than the current 667 (but it has a slower firewire bus)

hope that helps
Old 03-12-2002, 08:39 AM

How does the older 500, with a slower bus, do more plugs than the 667?
Old 03-12-2002, 09:15 AM

because its a completely different processor, the 7410 with faster memory bandwidth (the same has happened with desktops). you can read the whole story here:
tita niums

the part referring to logic audio and titaniums is in the middle of the page.
ti500:13 ptreverbs
ti667:9 ptreverbs [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

this has been no secret.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:30 AM

hang on... im confused here.. perhaps this is diff lingo here... or mebbe coz im new to this...

can we just keep the terminology to ibooks and powerbooks? coz thats wat we call them here in singapore... im not from the states so perhaps the machines are called diff names... so lemme get this right.. u are saying that the powerbooks are noisy?

and wat is an ice book?
Old 03-12-2002, 10:47 AM

okie.. i think after looking longer im starting to understand more..
does it mean that icebook = ibook? (with g3 processor)
and that Ti or Tibook = Powerbook G4?
but what is emi2|6

500 ti means a powerbook with 500 mhz is that right? but the ones that i am seeing at www.apple.com are 550 and above. with the other models at 667. are the 667s the current ones that u say are slower than the older ones? im guessing that they dont display the older 500 mhz model on the website anymore...

also, would an ibook be good enuff for the job? i understand that icebook500 means that the thing is on 500mhz. but wat does the "bus" do? and the higher the value of the "bus", wat happens to the computer?
sorry, but i dont know ANYTHING at all.... im just a musician...

thanks again for ur advice and patience, jindrich.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:48 PM

i see....
thanks so much for the input!!
hopefully i'll be able to get some kind of system up and running soon...
thanks!!
and please feel free to go to http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/skritcharian/lst?.dir=/
and
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/brraa/lst?.dir=/SkRiTcH!

to take a listen and look at my group, called skritch.

thanks!
Old 03-13-2002, 01:16 AM

The machines have nicknames....

iBook =
ice book (because it's white)
500 (mhz)

Titanium PowerBook
TiBook or Ti (because it's made from titanium)
400 and 500 (old model's mhz)
550 and 667 (new model's mhz)

The bus speed is the speed of the motherboard. The beige G3 had a bus speed of 66mhz, white the b/w G3 had a 100mhz bus. Take a G3 350, for example, throw it in both machines, and the b/w will be faster.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:57 AM

hey mouthdrummer,
i'm not american either and got confused at first with all this yankee lingo and acronymus: WTF, AFAIK, ya, Pismo, etc..

i'll try to explain it better.

-the current white ibooks are often referred to as "iceboks" mainly to diferentiate them from the older ones (the bigger "toilet seat" ibooks)
-Ti stands for the current powerbooks becasue they're made form titanium. The previous powerbooks had a nickname too, the last one was the "pismo" (the black G3 at 500mhx, systembus at 100mhz, firewire, 14.1"..etc)

when apple releases new models, older ones dissapear automatically. you can no longer buy them (new) except from some dealer who may have one in stock.

previous tis: at 400 or 500Mhz G4, system bus at 100mhz. Current ones at 550 and 667 with systembus at 133.

previous icebooks all at 500mhz system bus at 66mhz. Currrent ones at 600 and systembus at 100mhz.

(this is a generalization. look into the apple web site for detailed info)

new icebooks are better and faster than older 500mhz icebooks.
new ti's are better and faster than older ones except for some things:
-they use a new different processor that heats less -so they can be 'pushed' to 667-, but have a worse memory access. For some apps that's critical (like logic audio)
-they can no longer be put into slow cicle mode (say from 500mhz down to 400mhz) and so avoid having the fan turning on.

but the 400 and 500 Ti's had some small flaws: their firewire bus wasnt as fast as it should (1/2) and wireless reception was no good either.

i'm sure you're now more confused than before [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2002, 12:54 AM

thanks a big bunch guys!
owe u a big one...
erm... ok..one more thing...
i dont really need to record that many things simultaneously... i usually just multitrack one by one...
if im not wrong, that means that i can just simply use an mbox and that will do as compared to a 001, but im afraid that too much plugging in and out of the jacks will spoil the jack, as one of my friends is having problems getting his jack to have proper contact at times. at first he thought it was the cable, but then he realised it was coz thru long periods the jack was constantly jacked in and out.. and the insides started loosening... how do i avoid this problem.
and if i want to somehow get my midi stuff loaded into my mbox, is there some way to do it? like a mixer or whatever...

thanks

Pete

ps outrageous question, but i dont think there is any laptop system that allows for a 001 system is there? or can anyone prove me wrong on that?