Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 06-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Default Using Fast Track Solo with iPad and iMac

Just recently purchased an Avid Fast Track Solo.

One of its selling points is connectivity with an iPad and it comes with a connector cable, which is great.

I've successfully plugged a guitar into the Fast Track Solo interface and recorded music into Meteor, an iPad recording app. This establishes that audio can be recorded from the FTS into the iPad.

What I can't do is get audio from the iPad to play back to an iMac, which the FTS is connected to via USB.

I can't work out from the documentation whether I should be able to do this or not. (Though I would have thought this was an obvious one.) I figured the sound quality would be significantly better than taking the headphone output directly into the iMac.

Has anyone else been trying this, or can give me a clear answer whether the FTS should be able to do this?

Interestingly, the FTS comes up as an input option in the iMac's 'Sound' settings panel.

Thanks,
ajw31
Old 06-23-2013, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Using Fast Track Solo with iPad and iMac

you should be able to use iTunes to get the recording onto the iMac. Open apps and select meteor.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:08 AM

Hey Aussie John, thanks for taking the time to reply. I understand that files can be moved via iTunes, yes. But what I ultimately want to do is play instruments on the iPad directly in my DAW via the Fast Track Solo.

iPad app > FTS > DAW, in real time.

I was hoping the FTS tablet connector cable would mean the audio signal would bypass the iPad's own audio out, send it to the higher quality FTS, which would then make it available to the DAW just as it does with vocal or guitar audio.

But it doesn't seem to work. The iPad can input audio from the FTS, but cannot seem to output it to the FTS (and on via USB to the computer). I'm trying to work out whether it's MEANT to work, or if it's a limitation of the product.

Does that make sense?

cheers
ajw31
Old 12-24-2014, 03:54 PM

Did you ever get this to work?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 PM

Didn't follow up, no. I ended buying an iConnectMIDI+ device which does iPad MIDI as well as audio. Max audio resolution is 44K, but I can live with that.

cheers
Old 12-25-2014, 06:15 AM

Ok cool glad u got something that works! I just recently bought a fast track duo and iPad Air so I was just wondering. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-30-2020, 04:39 PM

What's the highest iOS version that is useable OS 13 on an iPhone 11 does not work here