Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Default What is your UAD card / PT 9 ADC workflow?

This is not the thread to complain.

I'm interested in knowing how UAD card users deal with the 4095 ADC limit.

Please advise.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Re: What is your UAD card / PT 9 ADC workflow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTelephone View Post

Please advise.
I have heard of people having alot of trouble with UAD cards and protools 9.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 02-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Please advise.
I have one Duo and have no problems with 4095. My buffer is set most of the time to 512 with around 30 audio tracks. So i can put without a problem 3 or up to 5 (depends on the ua-plugin) plugins on one audio track plus one or two on a sub-group.

The question is how many plugs do you really need to get your sound and if you only have to use uad. i often use mcdsp together with uad and i don't need more than 5 plugs on a track. (my personal experience was: if i use more than 5 plugs i don't get the "right sound". so less is often more.)

okay, it depends on your computer too. with my mac pro and 6gb ram there are no problems on 512. i think i can still use 128 without problems and that will have a positive effect on the uad-latency.

the only thing that i want is more uad power one quad more would be nice...

and since i updated every plugin pt9 runs very smooth incl. the uad-card. so on the mac side i have no problems with sl 10.6.6. / PT 9 / uad-Duo.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
I have heard of people having alot of trouble with UAD cards and protools 9.Nick
Well, I recently bought Pro Tools HD 9 and a PCI Core card, mainly to get access to TDM plug-ins not available as VST plug-ins.

Been using UAD-cards since 2001 and right now I have a Quad card and all plug-ins running on my studio computer (64bit Windows7).

Just finished a recording project with 32 channels of 24bit 96kHz in Pro Tools 9 with UAD-plugins on every channel. Never had so much problems with my computer since the notoriously crappy Windows Millennium in the late 90ies. Constant lockups requiring cold reboots pressing the OFF button (keyboard also locked up).

Removing all UAD plug-ins made things better, only problem was that I had to use UAD plug-ins.

Pro Tools 9 is the only program I own that actually can lockup Windows 7, which is quite an achievement.

My guess is that it's the RTAS wrapper that's causing the problem, but it's just a wild guess. Haven't had the time to experiment. Maybe I was straining the PCI buss with a lot of data being sent back and fourth.

Now that AVID have approved the making of DSP-based RTAS plug-ins I keep my fingers crossed that proper RTAS versions of the UAD plug-ins shows up in the near future and that they work properly in Pro Tools.

My latest mix project was done in Cubase 6 and it really was a breeze compared to PT9 with UAD plug-ins. No lockups, no hick-ups, no latency limits.

Just my two cents
Fred

PT HD 9.03 + HD Core card, Nuendo 5, Cubase 6, Wavelab 7, Samplitude 11, W7 64bit, ASUS P5B, Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 4Gb DDR RAM, UAD-2 QUAD (all plug-ins), RME RayDAT, Lavry DA-10, Mytek Stereo192 ADC, 2xApogee DA16X and Rosetta 800, Quested V3110 three-way speakers, Avantone MixCubes, Euphonix MC MIX, Novation Remote SL61 and Zero SL MkII, lots of funky outboard and analogue synths.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Try setting you H/W buffer size to 1024.I am using UAD Quad with Pro Tools 9,
using that setting i can fill Pro Tools with UAD plugins.If i use smaller buffer sizes the cpu meter jumps.
I am using win7 X64.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:51 PM

UAD need to get with the program like SSL and drop the DSp/dongle thing and built proper RTAS plug-ins. They are excluding themselves from a lot of potential customers. They just need to bury the hatchet with Avid and move on!
Old 02-20-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sun Studio's View Post
Try setting you H/W buffer size to 1024.I am using UAD Quad with Pro Tools 9,
using that setting i can fill Pro Tools with UAD plugins.If i use smaller buffer sizes the cpu meter jumps.
I am using win7 X64.

If you use a higher buffer size, does ADC have to compensate for it, eating up all of the 2045 ms???
Old 02-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
UAD need to get with the program like SSL and drop the DSp/dongle thing and built proper RTAS plug-ins. They are excluding themselves from a lot of potential customers. They just need to bury the hatchet with Avid and move on!

again, this is not the complaint thread, this is the "how to deal with it" thread.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTelephone View Post
If you use a higher buffer size, does ADC have to compensate for it, eating up all of the 2045 ms???
Hopefully with Proper RTAS plugins not wrapped for the UAD the buffer size won't have to be set so high!?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
They are now Proper RTAS developers WITH the card-firewire.
Here is an exerp. of the press release.

In a move designed to expand the power and flexibility of its popular UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform, Universal Audio (UA) today announced that it is an Avid® RTAS® developer, and that the UAD-2 platform is now compatible with Avid’s family of Pro Tools® music creation and audio production solutions.
"Pro Tools has been the hands-down industry leader in audio production for more than a decade," commented Universal Audio Inc founder and Chairman Bill Putnam Jr. "We’re extremely pleased to have reached an agreement in which UAD plug-ins will integrate with a full range of Pro Tools software and hardware systems, including the newly announced version of Pro Tools, as well as Pro Tools|HD Native."
While a significant percentage of the 40,000 UAD Powered Plug-In users worldwide are already using Pro Tools solutions, with this agreement, these users will be assured of an improved workflow in the future.
In particular, by combining the new Pro Tools|HD Native PCIe card and UAD-2 DSP Accelerator PCIe cards, Pro Tools|HD Native users can have the best of both worlds: an industry leading digital editing and mixing platform working on the power of the host CPU, and a library of classic analog emulation plug-ins developed in partnership with Neve, Manley, Roland, Empirical Labs, Fairchild, Pultec, Teletronix, dbx, Studer, Lexicon and more.
Ed Gray, director of Partnering Programs for Avid, said: “Universal Audio is one of the most innovative and admired companies in the audio space. The combination of Pro Tools and the UAD platform will provide our customers with even more options to create signature sounds with analog warmth, regardless of which Pro Tools system they are working on.”