Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2018, 05:28 PM

Default Speed change on exporting files

I am using an older Mac operating system OS10.7.5 with my Pro Tools 10 HDX. I recently have finished my mastering and desired to send the mastered stereo channel somewhere else. The audio files change speed when sent & played through another device or from Drive, but the master plays correctly in the session. I have never experienced this before. What is the solution, other than upgrading to a newer PT version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2018, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Speed change on exporting files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalystal View Post
I am using an older Mac operating system OS10.7.5 with my Pro Tools 10 HDX. I recently have finished my mastering and desired to send the mastered stereo channel somewhere else. The audio files change speed when sent & played through another device or from Drive, but the master plays correctly in the session. I have never experienced this before. What is the solution, other than upgrading to a newer PT version?
What sample rate is the file recorded at? Does the file play faster (pitched up) or slower (pitched down)?

I see that you have the DM2000 listed as your hardware. It's most likely that you have a sample-rate mismatch between the DM2000 and Pro Tools.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-17-2018, 07:13 PM

It’s pitched upward. My DM2000 is automatically clocked to my Pro Tools session using my first Digital HD 192. I tried a sample rate conversion & it doesn’t make a difference.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:35 AM

My Pro Tools session sends the sample rate to my DM 2000. In other words, the DM 2000 automatically follows my session rate, up to 96k-34 bit. It sync’s perfectly as long as I surpass the console’s ability.
I recently heard a different rate happening in Work Space & changes the sample rate to fix the issue. Today I tried another recent session & everything checks out, pitch-wise, in the session & in Work Space but the file exports at a full step higher. The song is in A but the exported song is in B. It might be my older (16 year old) 192’s but I need to get this issue repaired if possible. Any advice on this?
Al

Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
What sample rate is the file recorded at? Does the file play faster (pitched up) or slower (pitched down)?

I see that you have the DM2000 listed as your hardware. It's most likely that you have a sample-rate mismatch between the DM2000 and Pro Tools.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:44 AM

I’ll try replying again. The session is at 44,1-16 bit. The DM2000 is set up to follow the core 192 sample rate, which is set in the PT session. I was able to repair a pitch change problem by listening to the file in work space & exporting to another sample rate. Today I tried it in another session & was not experiencing any problems in the session or Work space. I exported the file to another HDD and the pitch moved up one whole tone (song is in A & exported file is in B). This has never happened in the past. Could it be my older 192 HD unit?
Al

Old 10-19-2018, 11:54 AM

One more note: the pitch is at the higher pitch in the computer when auditioning in the Finder window, but not in the session or work space. I’m running OS 10.7.5.
Al

Old 10-22-2018, 02:17 PM

By the way, I solved my speed problem. My HD 192 Sync IO was out of sync. I just tapped the bit depth switch to scroll around it’s presets to arrive at my usual 30 ips mode & it locked back in sync with my session. My HD system is 16 years old & problems like this are unfortunately expected to happen by now. I eventually desire to buy an Omni interface that will control my HD system. Maybe I can use that unit & sync my console to it & also be able to record multiple inputs at once, with my 192 HD units.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:23 PM

Sorry I missed your previous posts.

Glad you got it worked out though.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control