Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Default Error message with PT8 M-power

I have gotten this horrible error message (error - 9073) a few times in prior recording sessions with the current set up that I have now. However, this time I cannot seem to fix it. Usually I could solve the problem by just adjusting the buffer sizes. No luck this time. Currently I am multi-tracking 3 tracks to a profire 2626, with no plug-ins. Two XLR mic connections and one DI connection, via XLR. Here is my set up:

Mac Mini 2.53Gh, 4GB ram
Profire 2626 - connected to mac via firewire 800, with converter adapter from 800 to 400.
Lacie rugged 320GB - connected to mac via USB 2.0.

My first thought was update drivers and protools. Everything was up to date. Next, I thought that my connection between my Lacie and Mac was too slow. I run protools off of the Mac HD and write all of the files to the Lacie. To test this, I moved my current recording project from the Lacie HD, to my mac desktop. Same error message. Then I tried uninstalling protools 8.0.4 and reinstalling it. Same error message occurred after reinstalling and starting up my project again.

I think that my problem lies somewhere in my connecting between my profire and the mac. This is why. As an experiment, I had the guitarist who I was recording not play his solo (the part we have been trying to record, but what attempts have been foiled by this error message), but instead just play a simple chugging pattern. No error message occurred. I deleted the tracks and had him play his solo this time. Error message pops right back up after about 5 seconds of recording.

Not sure what the problem is. I do not think it is protools 8.0.4, but what I cannot figure out, is if it is the profire 2626, the connections, or the Lacie HD. Suggestions would be great please.

Thank you
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Error message with PT8 M-power

Pro tools does not support USB drives!!!!! Thats where your errors are coming from.

Use a firewire hard drive and Daisy chain it off the 2626 via firewire.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
Pro tools does not support USB drives!!!!! Thats where your errors are coming from.

Use a firewire hard drive and Daisy chain it off the 2626 via firewire.
So even though I moved my recording project off the external hard drive (that is connected via USB) and onto my macs hard drive, the error messages are arising from a USB connection? How? In hopes of eradicating the error message, I tried moving my entire project file from the external HD, to the mac, before even opening protools. Then I disconnected the external HD and tried recording directly to the macs HD. The only thing connected to the mac would be the profire 2626, which is connected by firewire.

In response to your other suggestion, does my external lacie rugged need to have a power supply in order to daisy chain it after the interface?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 PM

You're not supposed to record to your internal system drive either.
Quote:
In response to your other suggestion, does my external lacie rugged need to have a power supply in order to daisy chain it after the interface?
That depends. Most FW400 drives can be powered from the FW buss. I would guess that if it was powered via USB (if this is the same drive with multiple ports) then it will probably work.