Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2018, 01:09 PM

Default 2018.4 Track Groups got corrupted

Relatively new to protools. Upgraded from 2018.1 to 2018.4. Running on Windows 10.

Had a session with a number of track groups (e.g. brass, strings, etc.), each group with a number of tracks in the group. Had previously been able to modify the groups to add or remove tracks.

In the Mix window, at some point after a lot of editing, all the tracks are back to 'no group'. However, if I try to create a group, I can see that the old groups are still there by looking at the 'id' field on the Track>Create Group window even though no tracks are showing these groups. The VCAs for these groups still have the original group name and still control the original tracks that were in the group (now showing no group). I think the group names might have disappeared when I deleted a track that was in a group (but that's a guess).

In this condition, can no longer 'modify' the original groups because there are no tracks with the original group name - so can't add or remove a track from the original group or modify the group name. Basically, the group is still there, but the group name is not displayed where the group should be on the track in the mix window.

I've tried shutting down protools and reopening - didn't correct. I've tried rebooting my system and didn't correct. I've tried changing the group on the VCAs so that there were no references to the group anywhere, didn't correct.

Was able to group a set of tracks (including ones that were formerly in the original groups) into a new group. However, the old groups are still hanging around in that they are taking a group ID and are preventing me from using the group names that I originally used. So now all my groups are names like X.1 and the X groups are still around but can't be modified or deleted.

This is OK as a workaround, BUT seems there is a bug:

1) Something wiped out my existing groups on all tracks.
2) Appears to be no way to delete a group once it gets into this situation.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Re: 2018.4 Track Groups got corrupted

I would delete all groups and start over. I would probably also trash prefs(especially if the first idea didn't work)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-26-2018, 03:01 PM

Default Re: 2018.4 Track Groups got corrupted

Thanks for response Dave.
I figured out what happened after I created the same problem again by mucking around with the "Group List" on the Midi Edit window and spent some time in the Protools Reference Guide (i.e. RTFM - but its so long you might die first).

In the group list, I can see all my old groups (and the new ones I created) in the "Group List" on the MIDI Edit windows (or on Mix or Edit Window if I show it there). I can select a group, right click on it, and get the pull down to Modify or Delete it.

What was causing my confusion is that the "Group ID Indicator" on the track in the Mix window is set based on what is 'activated' in the group list as follows:
  • If the <All> group is activated - the Group Indicator on all tracks shows "!<ALL>".
  • If the <All> group is not activated and no group that the track is associated with is activated, the Group Indicator for the track shows "No Group".
  • If the <All> group is not activated and one group that the track is associated with is activated, the Group Indicator for the track shows that group.
  • If the <All> group is not activated and more than one group that the track is associated with is activated, the Group Indicator for the track shows the largest group for that track that is activated.

In the last case above, I was able to add two tracks to one group and then add those two tracks to a larger group and got the above results. I believe the manual says that 'sub groups' must be contained within their super-group.

So NO BUG and PROBLEM RESOLVED.