Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: PT 7.4 problems

See! What'd I say. Digis on it. Now if they get goin on 64 Leopard Support.......
Old 11-15-2007, 10:48 AM

64 bit Leopard Support.......
Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 AM

I thank Digi for their efforts in trying to solve this. What I don't understand is how a problem like this has not been trapped during beta testing. Ok, almost all of the beta testing was concentrated on the new features, but these on-the-fly moves are common working practice in PT.
64 bit support ? They better hurry, the new MacPro generation is coming with new Hafnium-based 45nm technology Intel 5400 series chips...
Old 11-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Avid

Hi folks,

These errors are a result of some changes made to speed fade calculations, combined and the new additional disk caching done to support Elastic Audio. We were aware that this would increase the potential for -9073 errors when working with fades during playback.

We are continuing to work on ways to to reduce these errors. More info as we get it.

Thanks for your patience.

DigiCS
Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Hi folks,

These errors are a result of some changes made to speed fade calculations, combined and the new additional disk caching done to support Elastic Audio. We were aware that this would increase the potential for -9073 errors when working with fades during playback.

We are continuing to work on ways to to reduce these errors. More info as we get it.

Thanks for your patience.

DigiCS
Just one simple question (I'm not trying to be cranky, just curious): If you knew that there's a problem, why did you still release PT 7.4? Why not first "work on ways to reduce these errors", solve the problem, then release it? I'm sure the majority of us prefer to wait a little bit longer for an update that actually works - as we do make a living using your software.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Avid

Quote:
If you knew that there's a problem, why did you still release PT 7.4?
Fair question. Our testing indicated that while -9073's did increase it was within the boundries of acceptence for release. However, from the posts here, it appears users are seeing a higher level of these errors than we expected. Either there are speed of editing issues (you guys are faster than our testers), or some other type of workflow/usage or coding issue that is driving this. We're investingating this further and looking into ways to better alleviate these errors.

DigiCS
Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM

Digi, I'm seeing it with more than just fades. Just about any type of editing on the fly will cause this error.
Luker[at]acaciarecording[dot]com
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 11-17-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
If you knew that there's a problem, why did you still release PT 7.4?
Fair question. Our testing indicated that while -9073's did increase it was within the boundries of acceptence for release. However, from the posts here, it appears users are seeing a higher level of these errors than we expected. Either there are speed of editing issues (you guys are faster than our testers), or some other type of workflow/usage or coding issue that is driving this. We're investingating this further and looking into ways to better alleviate these errors.

DigiCS
Yes, of course we ar going to be faster than your testers - we d this for a living. Not just testing at how robust something might be. Whenever your test crew make something fall over - double it for real world scenario. Thats what we used to do at ICL many moons ago when i was an IT kinda guy!

Glad you are on the problems - can we get the channel colours working they way they were in 7.3 while you're at it !! If its not going to happen soon (the 9073 errors) can you let us all know - i'd go back to 7.3 if this is more than a week away...

cheers
Old 11-19-2007, 01:26 PM

Yeah... same reasoning for me once again to suggest Digi fix the toggling tools design flaw.
Its just a nightmare for us speed demons.
Ive seen the digi empoyees work., and it is a far cry from the editing pace I work with.

BTW.. I get the new error about 40 times a day.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Avid

For those hitting the -9073's, a couple of urgent needs:

1. Please explain what Editing functions you are performing that cause -9073's. BESIDES creating fades, Audiosuite, Consolidating, or TCE Trim (as these all fire off background disk-writing processes, which we've confirmed can indeed cause -9073s.)

2. Open up Task Manager and keep an eye on it to perhaps catch some unexpected background tasks during Editing.

3. Does DAE buffer 4 ease the occurrences? (It does for me on 2 rigs: MacPro quad, HD3 and Powermac G5 dual 2.7, HD3).

Note: Using the "Pause Tasks during playback" (in Task Manager menu) is one method of holding off the -9073's, but it no means to I suggest that as a total solution.

Thanks for your responses.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."