Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Default Having trouble getting midi to send from my DAW

I have a Focusrite 6i6 and am using Pro Tools 10

I'm trying to sequence midi notes in the midi editor and send them out of my 6i6 to my Access Virus Classic synth. It's not receiving the midi data and I'm super frustrated.

I have the midi track in Pro Tools outputting to midi channel 1, and the Access Virus is set to receive midi on Channel 1. I've tested the cable and it's good. I'm also able to transmit midi data from another hardware sequencer to my Access Virus with no problems.

Please help me! Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Having trouble getting midi to send from my DAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveaniceday View Post
I have a Focusrite 6i6 and am using Pro Tools 10

I'm trying to sequence midi notes in the midi editor and send them out of my 6i6 to my Access Virus Classic synth. It's not receiving the midi data and I'm super frustrated.

I have the midi track in Pro Tools outputting to midi channel 1, and the Access Virus is set to receive midi on Channel 1. I've tested the cable and it's good. I'm also able to transmit midi data from another hardware sequencer to my Access Virus with no problems.

Please help me! Thanks in advance.
Absent basic system info it's difficult to help. Mac or Windows? How is the synth connected to your computer - USB or 5 pin MIDI? If Windows and USB make sure you have the USB port power savings measure turned off in Windows Control Panel. If Mac have you set up things in OSX audio/MIDI setup?

QAPLA!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM

Inside Pro Tools; Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. Make sure the external unit is listed, assigned the correct input and output port. Make sure your MIDI or INSTRUMENT track is set to feed the proper output port. Connect audio cables from the synth to your interface so you can hear the synth output. This audio input assignment can be done in a few ways, depending on whether you use a MIDI track(bring the synth in to a stereo AUX track to listen, or a stereo AUDIO track to record). If you use an INSTRUMENT track, you can bring the audio in directly to the same track to listen(but I would eventually record to audio in all cases)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 AM

Hi, sorry for the delay.

I'm running Win 8.1, Pro Tools 10 using a Focusrite 6i6. I have the midi-out on my 6i6 going to the midi-in on my Access Virus Classic. In Pro Tools I created a midi channel with the output routed out of my 6i6 on midi channel 1. I opened up the midi piano roll editor and sequenced some notes. When I hit play my Access Virus Classic should be receiving the midi data, but is showing no sign of receiving the midi data at all. It is also programmed to communicate on channel 1. I have no idea why it's not working ��
Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 AM

On the Access Virus, make sure the "omni" on/off is set to "off" and maybe you need to connect midi out from midi in on the interface to the virus aswell for it to work as you want it to work.

In PT do you have the Midi Thru checked or unchecked under options i think it is?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-22-2017, 02:26 PM

Thanks for your kind and helpful response.

I'm away from my DAW today. I'll hopefully be able to check these possible solutions tomorrow. I'll replay asap.