Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-08-2017, 04:27 PM

Default AMD Ryzen processors

Has anyone braved the waters and tried Pro Tools on a Ryzen based system yet? I know their gaming performance was a bit disappointing, but other than that they seem to be quite the chip. Was wondering if they might have any compatibility issues with Pro Tools.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:11 PM

Default Re: AMD Ryzen processors

I just built a machine with a the Intel 6900 proc with full knowledge of the new AMD processors. There was no way I was going to take a risk.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:40 PM

If I were to guess, I would say they will be fine, but we just don't know and they have only been out for literally days now. It will be a bit before people venture in. A few of us here were building AMD's exclusively until Intel released the Q6600 series and completely squashed AMD in processing power. That was up into PT 7 when that happened. and lots of things have changed since then. Mac now also being built around Intel architecture, along with Intel dominance on the PC side could possibly lead to some architecture issues. But again, we just don't know at this point.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-08-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
A few of us here were building AMD's exclusively .....That was up into PT 7 when that happened. and lots of things have changed since then..

Man I remember, the big boys were running Opterons

But I was running the Phenoms....they were good chips back in the days.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

Back in the day? I am still running a Phenom II x6 1045T in my Pro Tools Rig (of course I am still running 7.4 LE).

Running a FX 6300 in my "modern" everyday rig. Lots of debate on Ryzen over on Tom's Hardware forum, but they seem to be mostly game oriented.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

Shane and I started the opteron thread on here. He built his based around the Tyan board and I built mine around the Asus. I had $3500-$4000 somewhere in that machine with 4GB of ram ($100 GB) the processors were $1800 ($900 a piece) and it put off enough heat to warm the entire room. It's actually up at a buddy's studio outside Albuquerque as a backup machine. He had his HD rig in it for quite a few years after I moved to the first i7 920.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Shane and I started the opteron thread on here. He built his based around the Tyan board and I built mine around the Asus.
Man, those were the good 'ol days. When literally every day there was something new and exciting happening on this forum and everyone was learning and experimenting at light speed. I had one of the Opteron systems running on an Asus board also. Never got to do much with it since I was still in school and hadn't yet launched fully into my professional audio career.

Now I'm running a Lenovo P50 laptop at home that literally squashes the processing power of that dual Opteron system, and then some.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-11-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Man, those were the good 'ol days. When literally every day there was something new and exciting happening on this forum and everyone was learning and experimenting at light speed. I had one of the Opteron systems running on an Asus board also. Never got to do much with it since I was still in school and hadn't yet launched fully into my professional audio career.

Now I'm running a Lenovo P50 laptop at home that literally squashes the processing power of that dual Opteron system, and then some.
I think that is kind of the issue now. CPU power has reached the point where we all have the ability to not necessarily NEED more like we used to. I am just now ready to update my 3930k I built in Nov 2012. I have never kept a computer this long, not even in my Mac days.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Shane and I started the opteron thread on here. He built his based around the Tyan board and I built mine around the Asus.
That was an absolute blast! Those were very fun and exciting times here on the forum back in the day. When that thing heated up though, those tornado fans sure kicked in hard. There was a time when AMD was the de facto standard with Pro Tools on PC and Intel was very frowned upon. The AMD Athlon 2600 Barton(with a physical hack done) on Windows 98/XP was certainly where it all began with Allen Hallada. I built a few of those systems. The table started turning with the Intel Core 2 Duo and then the Intel Q6600 era(still have mine!).

I haven't built a new system of my own in years but plan on putting a new insane workstation together very soon again. It'll be Intel based once again.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Whatever happened to Allen Hallada?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One