Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2017, 07:55 AM

Default self made Karaoke tracks?

i often make karaoke versions of songs (when there isn't a karaoke version out there) to use at family functions. I go through the correct steps.. split to mono, reverse phase, mute first track, etc etc.) but my question is this: after i do so, Obviously the vocals arent 100% gone, and the music sounds more spacious, quieter, not as detailed. I know those things will happen, and some songs will end up sounding like the original, but as if vocals were never recorded; which is awesome and u get lucky! Other times, the music sounds like crap, and theres still so much reverb from the vocal that you feel like there was no point in ever doing it. sometimes, i will record over the new karaoke made track with drum kit, or guitar (If i know the song like the back of my hand) to try and make up for loss of sound/detail; then mix that in appropriatly. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. Depends on the song, I know. But is there either 1) a better phase reverse plug in i could use other than the eq band, or 2) AFTER I've done all the steps, can I take the 2 mono tracks, record them to stereo, then Eq that, or use effects, or something to make it sound a little more natural? (minimal vocal, but try to tighten up to music to sound a little more "original"??? SOMETHING!? ANYTHING!? whatever will help, even if it's just a little bit.

Pro Tools 12.7 (Student/Teacher Card and iLok) (ALL Stock plug ins; Never purchased any. (got Pro tools software through schooling))

Steinburg ur22 MKii (2 audio input; 2 instrument input; MIDI in, MIDI out)

Sterling audio MX5" Monitors (2)[/FONT][/FONT]
Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 PM

Default Re: self made Karaoke tracks?

Make the karaoke track MONO, it will give you punch back. If you take a look at most venues (bars, etc) where karaoke is sung, audience is spread everywhere and everyone practically listens to one speaker.