Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Enough of Avid

I think its when it comes to composing and soft synth when the bitching starts. Personally I love Pro Tools and couldn't use anything else now and wouldn't want to, I've no love for Avid and have been using it since the days of Digidesign but the bugs and instability are a pain. I never get through a session without a crash. Like others I'm far too invested but my advice would be get out before you get too far down the rabbit hole if all you wanna do is record songs.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:12 AM
tundra

its great as a digital tape replacement.
for recording audio, and then moving it around on the timeline.
It excels at that.

for anything else creative its probably at the bottom of the list.
if you are doing anything with midi or composition then pretty much any other daw out there is going to be 100% better for you.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra View Post
its great as a digital tape replacement.
for recording audio, and then moving it around on the timeline.
It excels at that.

for anything else creative its probably at the bottom of the list.
if you are doing anything with midi or composition then pretty much any other daw out there is going to be 100% better for you.
i work with several composers and they use ONLY Pro Tools for composing and do not have any gripes or issues .. everyone of them and every system is different .. so you can do everything in pro tools .. and you can have a solid reliable system .. just need to Stop chasing the Jones' (updating) when you get a system that works for you ..

but some like midi in logic, other in cubase, VEP, etc .. to each his own ..

i try my best to work only in pro tools, but will open cubase or reaper or logic when i need some specific ..

but it really depends on the demands of your workflow, are you playing in a lot of music or just drawing in notes, or, or, or .. lots of variables ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM

I too got tired of Avid's seemingly lack of concern for the costumer. I have so many DAW's now it's crazy and I always come back to PT.
Nothing like it in my opinion.
Far the best.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:35 PM

I mostly compose and mix. My PC was custom-built for Pro-Tools and that could be the reason I don't experience many of the problems others seem to have. As far as features go, PT has everything I need and I enjoy the straightforward design and minimal clutter of the workspace. Too many features sometimes get in the way of actual music-making and too much information on one page gives me a head-ache. Folders would be a nice addition though.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterwine View Post
Thanks John, yes I am on a Mac, and I did reinstall the 12,7,0 version and got it working again, its damn frustrating to have to deal with all their problems. No more updates for now.
I'm on 12.6.1 and staying away from updates for a while..Everything runs great on Sierra, which I updated to as a totally clean install my whole HD for another reason all together from Yosemite.
Maybe I'll try 12.7.1 on my laptop, but seems a bit problematic already. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 02-28-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloj View Post
I think its when it comes to composing and soft synth when the bitching starts. Personally I love Pro Tools and couldn't use anything else now and wouldn't want to, I've no love for Avid and have been using it since the days of Digidesign but the bugs and instability are a pain. I never get through a session without a crash. Like others I'm far too invested but my advice would be get out before you get too far down the rabbit hole if all you wanna do is record songs.

I think the bitching has been happening long before composing and soft synth problems. I think it all has roots in the disparity between Avid, Pro Tools, and the prices being charged and the service and product being offered. This past week I've been mixing some live recordings for a TV program and opted to do it in Reaper rather than Pro Tools 12. It has been delightful. The WT-Imperial theme for it looks magnificent and is extremely function. It has VCA faders, and group tracks, and the ability to create preset FX chains, and ADC ping functionality in the outboard insert plugin. It is insanely easy to print effects in place as a new take. Aux sends are literally a case of clicking on the send-from channel and dragging to the send-to channel. You can render your mix and all your stems simply by shift+clicking on the appropriate channels in the mixer, then selecting render and choosing "Mix + Stems". Bam! Done. Complete with visible output meters for all of those channels so you can see if any of them clipped during render. It has been a bloody revelation!

And most of all, you can log into a support forum and speak directly with the people who write the code and own the company. You can hear them say "that is a great suggestion, I think we will try and work that in".

Avid on the other hand? A license will cost you at least 4 times the price, be missing some pretty crucial features, cost another $100 a year if you want updates, then another $100 a year if you want to actually get in touch with someone to iron out any issues, and you'll throw out suggestions that will be met with various layers of glass ceiling silence. Mods that need to pass it onto super mods that need to pass it onto ultra mods that need to pass it onto R&D's secretary so that he can book a conference room with delicious sandwiches so that they can all stand around and talk about the latest developments in their share prices and Frank's funny weekend away in the Hampton's. No doubt a lot of the mods experience the same glass ceiling of silence as us users do...

I guess you could say that this week I've really discovered that I could use something else, and it is great. It oozes passion and innovation and a genuine desire to make the absolute best possible product they can, from every single corner... something that hasn't been visible at Avid for many, many years.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:41 PM

I use PT less than 2% in comparisson to Logic and I'm paying $100 next month and that's all the money Avid's getting from me.I have my eyes on Studio One
Old 02-28-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I think the bitching has been happening long before composing and soft synth problems. I think it all has roots in the disparity between Avid, Pro Tools, and the prices being charged and the service and product being offered. This past week I've been mixing some live recordings for a TV program and opted to do it in Reaper rather than Pro Tools 12. It has been delightful. The WT-Imperial theme for it looks magnificent and is extremely function. It has VCA faders, and group tracks, and the ability to create preset FX chains, and ADC ping functionality in the outboard insert plugin. It is insanely easy to print effects in place as a new take. Aux sends are literally a case of clicking on the send-from channel and dragging to the send-to channel. You can render your mix and all your stems simply by shift+clicking on the appropriate channels in the mixer, then selecting render and choosing "Mix + Stems". Bam! Done. Complete with visible output meters for all of those channels so you can see if any of them clipped during render. It has been a bloody revelation!

And most of all, you can log into a support forum and speak directly with the people who write the code and own the company. You can hear them say "that is a great suggestion, I think we will try and work that in".

Avid on the other hand? A license will cost you at least 4 times the price, be missing some pretty crucial features, cost another $100 a year if you want updates, then another $100 a year if you want to actually get in touch with someone to iron out any issues, and you'll throw out suggestions that will be met with various layers of glass ceiling silence. Mods that need to pass it onto super mods that need to pass it onto ultra mods that need to pass it onto R&D's secretary so that he can book a conference room with delicious sandwiches so that they can all stand around and talk about the latest developments in their share prices and Frank's funny weekend away in the Hampton's. No doubt a lot of the mods experience the same glass ceiling of silence as us users do...

I guess you could say that this week I've really discovered that I could use something else, and it is great. It oozes passion and innovation and a genuine desire to make the absolute best possible product they can, from every single corner... something that hasn't been visible at Avid for many, many years.
Well said!

I still use PT (V11) and won't be giving Avid any more money until they get their act together. Frankly, if I end up sticking to v11 forever i'd still get my work done and be happy.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-28-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
And most of all, you can log into a support forum and speak directly with the people who write the code and own the company. You can hear them say "that is a great suggestion, I think we will try and work that in"..

Omg surely you jest
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.