How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 PM

Default Basic D-command/Xmon internal talkback help

Hello all,

So I'm kind of new to the internal talkback section and how to set it up. (I want to use the build in mic in the D-command. Reading the manual and searching the net doesn't really help me in the right direction. My setup is: D-command ES > Xmon > 8x8x8 > PT HDX. Running PT hd 12.7 on Sierra.

For my understanding; the internal mic signal goes through the 15-pin control cable. Now my question is; how do I get it on the headphones through a send?
(Normally I use output 7&8). There also is a breakout on the backside of the Xmon which can be used for communication I believe.

If someone got some tips on how to set it up, appreciate it a lot!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Basic D-command/Xmon internal talkback help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFH View Post
Hello all,

So I'm kind of new to the internal talkback section and how to set it up. (I want to use the build in mic in the D-command. Reading the manual and searching the net doesn't really help me in the right direction. My setup is: D-command ES > Xmon > 8x8x8 > PT HDX. Running PT hd 12.7 on Sierra.

For my understanding; the internal mic signal goes through the 15-pin control cable. Now my question is; how do I get it on the headphones through a send?
(Normally I use output 7&8). There also is a breakout on the backside of the Xmon which can be used for communication I believe.

If someone got some tips on how to set it up, appreciate it a lot!
You need to connect the outputs you use for Cues to the Cue Input on the Xmon. Then the cue 1 out will have talkback injected into it and will feed the headphone amp.

Page 16-19 in this doc shows you the signal flow.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...uide_26592.pdf

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:19 AM

Hello Drew,

Thanks for your reply!

Connected two DB25's to the cue in/outputs and got a signal over the headphone with a working talkback!

Just have a nasty buzz now on it, which is probably caused by the cable connecting the D-command and the Xmon crossing electrical wires.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2017, 07:32 AM

Has anyone ever had a buzz coming with the talkback signal from the built in mic and knows what it could be in the chain?

- There are no powercables touching the DB15. (selfmade cable, all functions working properly)
- tried switching other QUE in/out puts.

If I would buy for example a simple Samson CM 20 P mic (requires 9v-52v phantom, so should work on the TB in), I should connect it to the talkback mic 2 input on the TB/LB/UTIL input 1, but it's not clear for me in the manual where it get's injected to. Is it also coming out of QUE 1?

Edit: So I think I just need a DB 25 to cue in and DB 25 to cue out same as before and just an extra DB 25 to the TB/LB/UTIL and plug an external mic (like a 57) to the first in and then select Cue 1 in on the table and only external talkback?

Best, T

Update:
External mic works like a charm, crystal clear talkback!

Last edited by TFH; 03-16-2017 at 03:36 PM.