Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2016, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Aggregate Device, Maxxed Out I/O

No I just wanted to mostly see your Aggregate IO setup, and we got three Input pages (which you could likely all fit on one).

The first thing, if you *really* want to use CoreAudio aggregation is why not move the interface you want to use most of to be the first aggregate device?
Old 09-16-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
No I just wanted to mostly see your Aggregate IO setup, and we got three Input pages (which you could likely all fit on one).

The first thing, if you *really* want to use CoreAudio aggregation is why not move the interface you want to use most of to be the first aggregate device?
Oh! No, the last one was different. Grant it, I wasn't aware I could change the dimensions when screen capturing a window (not something I do often).

But Darryl, you're a genius. As I was about to respond my initial thought was "No, if I make the MR816 my first interface it'll see those 8 adat channels that aren't used."

Then it hit me! Keep in mind this is only a temporary fix (I still plan to check out some other single device options that will interface my devices with pro tools). In theory I should be able to send 8 channels of ADAT to the MR816 from the X32 and the other 8 channels from the X32 to the Saffire making it last in the chain. The Saffire would still be the clock since I have then sync'ed by WordClock. That could work! I'll post my findings!
Old 09-16-2016, 12:22 PM

Cool, let us know. ADAT seems old fashioned to lots of folks but it is great for many real world issues.

If you are already using some Dante then that may be somewhere to go in the longer term. You can configure the Dante to present whatever first 32 IO you want.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Cool, let us know. ADAT seems old fashioned to lots of folks but it is great for many real world issues.

If you are already using some Dante then that may be somewhere to go in the longer term. You can configure the Dante to present whatever first 32 IO you want.
After dinner and an episode of Supergirl (I know, I know MCU is way better but DC has decent tv shows lol) I have reached a verdict. IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

Here is what I had to do for anyone else who may have a similar issue.

The clock and converters were always better in the MR816 than the LS56 but I wanted to take advantage of Saffire Mix and the Liquid Pre's. This setup allows me to use both the saffire mix control and the steinberg mixer with the Rev-X effects. Another plus is both mixers offer 16 channels of 0 Latency (direct thru) monitoring and yes I did kill the audio feed from these while testing for any clicks, pops, jitter, etc.

MR816X ADAT Out -> X32 ADAT 1-8 IN (set card to be slave to ADAT IN 1-8)
X32 ADAT 1-8 Out -> MR816X ADAT IN
X32 ADAT 9-16 OUT -> LS56 ADAT IN 1
LS56 ADAT 1 OUT -> X32 ADAT 9-16 IN (doesn't conflict since cart was programmed to recognize the clock source as ADAT IN 1-8. Could be overkill for this connection but who cares, it works)
LS56 SPDIF OUT -> Eleven Rack SPDIF IN
Eleven Rack SPDIF OUT -> LS56 SPDIF IN

The biggest work around was getting the MR816x recognized as the first unit in the aggregate IO. This simply deals with which order you add the devices to the aggregate. First try I cleared out both the LS56 and the MR816 and then reassigned them (selecting the LS56 first because they were in alphabetical order) with the MR816 as the clock source. Loaded PT, no change. Second try I cleared out both devices and reassigned them and this time I added the MR816 first and set the clock. Opened PT and surprisingly this worked.

After manually adding paths just to make sure nothing screwed up by hitting default my inputs were routed as so in recognition of pro tools 32 channels:

1-8 MR816 Analog IN
9-16 MR816 ADAT Optical (X32 Channels 1-8)
17-24 LS56 Analog IN
25-26 LS56 SPDIF IN (Eleven Rack)
28-34 LS56 ADAT 1 IN (since PT maxes out at 32 these are channels 9-14 on the X32)

Everything works seamlessly guys. Darryl, you're awesome!

Oh and I tested this with the sync source as both ADAT and WCLK and there was no difference.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFilmScorer5 View Post
After dinner and an episode of Supergirl (I know, I know MCU is way better but DC has decent tv shows lol) I have reached a verdict. IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

Here is what I had to do for anyone else who may have a similar issue.

The clock and converters were always better in the MR816 than the LS56 but I wanted to take advantage of Saffire Mix and the Liquid Pre's. This setup allows me to use both the saffire mix control and the steinberg mixer with the Rev-X effects. Another plus is both mixers offer 16 channels of 0 Latency (direct thru) monitoring and yes I did kill the audio feed from these while testing for any clicks, pops, jitter, etc.

MR816X ADAT Out -> X32 ADAT 1-8 IN (set card to be slave to ADAT IN 1-8)
X32 ADAT 1-8 Out -> MR816X ADAT IN
X32 ADAT 9-16 OUT -> LS56 ADAT IN 1
LS56 ADAT 1 OUT -> X32 ADAT 9-16 IN (doesn't conflict since cart was programmed to recognize the clock source as ADAT IN 1-8. Could be overkill for this connection but who cares, it works)
LS56 SPDIF OUT -> Eleven Rack SPDIF IN
Eleven Rack SPDIF OUT -> LS56 SPDIF IN

The biggest work around was getting the MR816x recognized as the first unit in the aggregate IO. This simply deals with which order you add the devices to the aggregate. First try I cleared out both the LS56 and the MR816 and then reassigned them (selecting the LS56 first because they were in alphabetical order) with the MR816 as the clock source. Loaded PT, no change. Second try I cleared out both devices and reassigned them and this time I added the MR816 first and set the clock. Opened PT and surprisingly this worked.

After manually adding paths just to make sure nothing screwed up by hitting default my inputs were routed as so in recognition of pro tools 32 channels:

1-8 MR816 Analog IN
9-16 MR816 ADAT Optical (X32 Channels 1-8)
17-24 LS56 Analog IN
25-26 LS56 SPDIF IN (Eleven Rack)
28-34 LS56 ADAT 1 IN (since PT maxes out at 32 these are channels 9-14 on the X32)

Everything works seamlessly guys. Darryl, you're awesome!

Oh and I tested this with the sync source as both ADAT and WCLK and there was no difference.

Greetings. Sorry to re-start this old thread, but I've been having a similar issue with Aggregating in Pro Tools 12.6 Native. Mac Pro 3,1 OS X 10.9.5.
I have 2 FireWire Apollo Quads in Cascade mode, plus an Antelope Pure2 USB2 (4x4) Interface which I would like to use as my main DA. The Pure2 is my master clock, and sends clock to my other devices via word clock. I have spent the better part of a week or so attempting so many different variations in Pro Tools I/O and Audio MIDI Set-Up to get my Pure2 to play any sound out of Pro Tools via it's interface. Unfortunately I have had no luck.
All cascaded Apollo I/Os as well as the Pure2's I/Os are seen in both Audio MIDI Set-Up & Pro Tools I/O Set-Up. I've deleted and manually added paths in both AMS & Pro Tools I/O Set-Up like a thousand times with no luck.
So I say all of that to ask for a little clarification re your above statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFilmScorer5 View Post

1. Is the entire 1st paragraph referring to Pro Tools I/O set-up, is that where you were re-assigning the I/Os?
2. What is meant by "(selecting the LS56 first because they were in alphabetical order) with the MR816 as the clock source.?"
3. How/Where are you 'setting the clock'?
4. I'm also lost by the the 2nd paragraph.
5. Did you set up for exactly 32 I/O in PT S-U? If so how?
6. Did you have to do anything manually in Audio MIDI Set-Up?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, and my lack of understanding, but I'm really trying to see if I can make my set up work as I intend, and not settle for a work around.
I can't figure why I cannot use my 3 interfaces aggregated if I can commit to only 32 I/Os total.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:51 PM

Aggregate IO, oh why?

Have you got the two FireWire Apollo Quads working OK? Able to sort out how to use up to the 32 CoreAudio input and outputs limits in Pro Tools with these units cascaded? Using the Apollo Console not CoreAudio Audio/MIDI setup to manage that.

Why do you want the Antelope? Do you actually think you can hear any difference there? (I'd be willing to bet money you won't in a blind test).

The first thing I would do is avoid using aggregate IO.

Does the antelope have a stand-alone mode that can route S/PDIF in to analog out? If so and you just want to drive the analog outputs with it then that's easy, you are just going to take one S/PDIF Out on the Apollo. If I could not get that to work insert the Antelope into the trash can, or sell it.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-29-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Aggregate IO, oh why?

Have you got the two FireWire Apollo Quads working OK? Able to sort out how to use up to the 32 CoreAudio input and outputs limits in Pro Tools with these units cascaded? Using the Apollo Console not CoreAudio Audio/MIDI setup to manage that.

Why do you want the Antelope? Do you actually think you can hear any difference there? (I'd be willing to bet money you won't in a blind test).

The first thing I would do is avoid using aggregate IO.

Does the antelope have a stand-alone mode that can route S/PDIF in to analog out? If so and you just want to drive the analog outputs with it then that's easy, you are just going to take one S/PDIF Out on the Apollo. If I could not get that to work insert the Antelope into the trash can, or sell it.
Thanks for the response. I trust I will hear from MSFilmscorer5 re my queries.
I'm sure your points may be valid, but I like my Pure2 and it fits my rig/sound very nice. So I will not be getting rid of it anytime soon.
My Apollos are correctly cascaded. 2 FW units in cascade mode uses console 1 which does not feature the I/O setup. That option is in console 2. Still waiting for console 2 for FW cascading.
32 I/O limit is my issue, thus my query. So no haven't quite figure that out yet.
I have a proper work around that works, but for my workflow and style I want to use my pure2 as an interface in PT alongside my Apollos. Makes my monitoring a breeze!
Not sure what your beef is w/ antelope, but I will say my pure2 doesn't belong anywhere near a trash can, unless that reach can is the latest Mac Pro!
Cheers!
Happy New Year to all!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:49 PM

I have no beef with Antelope I have a beef with Aggregate IO. Wanting to go to Aggregate IO where you already have a complex cascaded setup is just not something I would do. Especially not when an Apollo is likely good enough for your monitoring output.

Again does the box have a stand alone mode where you can just drive the monitors though it?

I'm not sure I even follow the questions you are asking. Or why things are not clear. Yes he is talking about audio midi setup in the first para. You get stuff set up there so the first 32 IO you want are visible in Pro Tools IO setup.

But start with just the Cascaded IO on the Apolllo before you add anything else. Have you done that? Does everything seem to work OK up to 32 inputs and outputs?.

Then stick you Antelope ahead of the cascaded apollos in the Audio MIDI aggregate IO device. Then make sure Pro Tools IO setup sees that aggregate correctly (hand tweak it if it does not).

Again I would not inflict aggregate IO on myself unless I really had to.