Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Console under $500?

Hi, I'm sorry if a similar question has been asked before, but I'd appreciate any feedback. I was looking at a Behringer, but there have been mixed responses about its compatibility with Pro Tools. Is anyone aware of a mixing console with at least 16 channels, compatible with Pro Tools, and under $500?

If I need to spend more, I will, but it'd sure be nice to keep my expenses relatively low. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Console under $500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsphan08 View Post
Hi, I'm sorry if a similar question has been asked before, but I'd appreciate any feedback. I was looking at a Behringer, but there have been mixed responses about its compatibility with Pro Tools. Is anyone aware of a mixing console with at least 16 channels, compatible with Pro Tools, and under $500?

If I need to spend more, I will, but it'd sure be nice to keep my expenses relatively low. Thanks!
You realize you are posting in a forum for high-end professional ICON control surfaces?

$500 won't get you much of anything. Behringer products are pretty low priced, and often pretty awful, you get what you pay for.

What exact model Behringer have you been looking at.

What exactly do you mean by "console"? You mean a live mixer that can double as an interface (do you expect it to act as a control surface?)? How many mic preamps? Or do you just mean a control surface just to drive Pro Tools? And what do you want to do wit this exactly, track a band? How large? Live or in the studio? Do you own other interfaces? What mic preamps or other interfaces do you own?

At very low end if you want a control surface you should at least consider an iPad and these software solutions. (especially if you already own an iPad or have other uses for one)....

V-Control Pro https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/v-co...400423823?mt=8

AC-7 Core https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ac-7...403915394?mt=8

Darryl
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 AM

he might be able to get a used artist mix for 500. That's the best he will do for avid controllers
Old 11-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
he might be able to get a used artist mix for 500. That's the best he will do for avid controllers
That's assuming he even is asking about a control surface, most low cost Behringer mixers don't act as a HUI control surface and neither are they an audio interface (and IIRC the ones that look like USB interfaces just provide an interface for recording the main outs, and nothing I can think of around 16 channels @ $500) so its totally unclear what he is asking for. Like with many of these things it is nice when people simply just what they are trying to achieve. He's also asking for 16 channels, if a control surface would banking 8 controller be OK? If not then he would need two Artist Series Mix controllers.

If after a control surface: I not a fan of the Artist series and remain concerned around Avid support issues with those products, but at $500 and if known/shown to work would be a bargain. Used prices I've seen were more around $800. I might be more inclined to keep using the mouse, look at an iPad solution, look at a Mackie Control Universal Pro (~$1k+$800 for extender for a total 16 faders) or depending a lot more on an SSL Nucleus ($5k-$6k)) or a C|24.

If after a digital mixer/interface: I'd look at a Presonus StudioLive (starts at ~$1.3k). (now if only a Studio Live mixers had motorized faders (to work better with their current great remote iPad etc. aps and could also do HUI....)

Behringer has the X32 Digital Mixer which is a combo of a live digital mixer and HUI control surface, its around $3k. Never seen one and don't want to, for lots of reasons I'd look at StudioLive or other options.

Darrl