Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2016, 05:29 PM

Default Re: 7.1 Monitoring Controller & Beyond?

Thanks Frank,

I had a brief moment of hope for the Rednet units.
Although they interface very well with PTHD they don't have any of the remote control or dsp possibilities of the Xilica boxes.

I may go with the Uno and save myself a few pounds. Once I get the setup I like I can't see me changing it much and if I do, they seem very responsive as a company.

I don't think the clocking would be a huge issue for using the box standalone, the method of syncing seems very robust.

I doubt that it would drift substantially over 90mins or so, but I may be wrong. That's why the Focusrite looked promising as it has loop sync you could connect to a sync HD, but unfortunately doesn't do the other things I need.

The best combo might be the Rednet 5 with 16io over Dante plus a Neutrino.
That would be a powerful rig indeed.

Martin
Old 04-29-2016, 09:47 PM

I think the Uno looks great for 5.1/7.1 use. I think I'm going to shoot them an email about it.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Thanks Frank,

I had a brief moment of hope for the Rednet units.
Although they interface very well with PTHD they don't have any of the remote control or dsp possibilities of the Xilica boxes.

I may go with the Uno and save myself a few pounds. Once I get the setup I like I can't see me changing it much and if I do, they seem very responsive as a company.

I don't think the clocking would be a huge issue for using the box standalone, the method of syncing seems very robust.

I doubt that it would drift substantially over 90mins or so, but I may be wrong. That's why the Focusrite looked promising as it has loop sync you could connect to a sync HD, but unfortunately doesn't do the other things I need.

The best combo might be the Rednet 5 with 16io over Dante plus a Neutrino.
That would be a powerful rig indeed.

Martin
Yes, that's what I meant. If you want a "real" speaker controller with EQ, delay etc. etc. and not just something that does levels and switching there's currently nothing that connects directly to Digilink afaik.

So 100% genlocked currently means Digilink-interace plus processor. But just like you I'm OK with the compromise when using Dante.

Hence the decision for the Neutrino. Solved many things for me:

I can use the 8x8x8 via AES or analogue
I can EQ my speakers with delay etc. etc.
I can use the DVS and travel very light.
Doubles as a PT-interface with 16 mic/line ins with P48
etc etc.
Remote control
Open architecture

Frank.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
As long as AVID doesn't offer a DanteBridge and you can not use the HD engine to interface to a Dante-card there won't be full gen-locking. This is a problem all non-AVID interfaces have in common (or at least the ones that do not have a DigiLink interface).
The new Focusrite HD32R is a Dante box with direct connection to PT via DigiLink Port; plus clock and loop sync.

https://us.focusrite.com/ethernet-au...s/rednet-hd32r

I'm looking at this to interface with something like the Q-Sys Core. Or another option that no one has mentioned in this thread is BBS Soundweb London. They are very similar to the Q-Sys; modular and expandable; including Dante interface. I've been told they have an iPad app to make setup and room tuning a bit easier (like the Q-Sys). I've heard the Q-Sys is more user-friendly. Just for the record, I've used both very little.

http://bssaudio.com/en-US/products/blu-806

EDIT: Oops, someone did mention the Soundweb London. Well, enjoy the link anyway.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 05-06-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
The new Focusrite HD32R is a Dante box with direct connection to PT via DigiLink Port; plus clock and loop sync.

Yes, there are a bunch of Digilink dante-interfaces but none with DSP for separate speaker processing.
A Digilink dante-box plus a Qsys or Soundweb with 7.1 or more outs will set you back at least 10k$ (likely more) I think.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 05-06-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:34 AM

The BSS London software has been replaced with the Audio Architect software. The new software is a bit deeper, but does allow for the creation of custom pages in iOS devices.

I have a BSS806+BOB for the room I work in (7.1+4) as well as the 4 other audio rooms we have (7.1 only). I found it pretty intuitive to set up. I know that the Q-Sys stuff is nicer, but this worked for what we needed.

I do believe that the Blue Sky monitor controller is stackable for systems larger than 8 channels.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post

I'm looking at this to interface with something like the Q-Sys Core. Or another option that no one has mentioned in this thread is BBS Soundweb London. They are very similar to the Q-Sys; modular and expandable; including Dante interface. I've been told they have an iPad app to make setup and room tuning a bit easier (like the Q-Sys). I've heard the Q-Sys is more user-friendly. Just for the record, I've used both very little.

http://bssaudio.com/en-US/products/blu-806

EDIT: Oops, someone did mention the Soundweb London. Well, enjoy the link anyway.
Denver, CO
Old 10-23-2016, 03:16 PM

I'm not sure if this Q-Sys model was already there when this thread started, but I suppose this one is budget friendly, high quality, and thanks to the "flex channels" capable of handling 9.1 channels ;-)

http://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/p...res/core-110f/

What do you guys think? Ik was looking into this for a home setup premix room..
Old 10-23-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuS View Post
I'm not sure if this Q-Sys model was already there when this thread started, but I suppose this one is budget friendly, high quality, and thanks to the "flex channels" capable of handling 9.1 channels ;-)

http://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/p...res/core-110f/

What do you guys think? Ik was looking into this for a home setup premix room..
Q-Sys is a popular option. It costs a little more than the BSS options, but it's a little easier to program.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 10-24-2016, 12:16 PM

Since I originally posted I have updated my system with a QSC 500 with Dante
and a QSC 8IO also with Dante so now I have 128 outputs. I also put in a DAD AX32 and a DAD DX 32 that route all the Avid Madi units and Dolby Atmos RMU
through it. When setting up the QSys I ran into network hell and QSC QSys Tech support was unbelievable! They really blew me away with their willingness to sort out the issues I was having with Dante. It ultimately was not their issue but they solved my problem. Their support which by the way is 24 hours a day couldn't be better!

I had a BSS and their D/A is terrible sounding and I had lots of issues with it. The QSC QSys blows it away! Much better overall unit in all respects and rock solid!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:09 PM

Wow, that's a massively powerful system.
Sounds great.

I nearly went for the Uno, but I'm now holding out to see how wallet-meltingly expensive Avid decide to make the MTRX once you have a few A/D cards and a mic pre in it.
Fingers crossed. It looks like a great box.