Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Avid

Default \"Session must be on an Audio record volume\" - Workspace info

If you are receiving any errors regarding drives not being suitable for playback or not being an audio record volume, try the following:

In Pro Tools, go to the Windows menu and select 'Show Workspace'. In the Workspace window you will see a list of your drives on the left and to the right of each drive will be an 'A'(for Audio) and a 'V'(for Video) column. Under the 'A' column next to your drive it will probably have a 'T'(for Transfer) or 'P'(for Playback) - click on the 'T' or 'P' and, from the drop down list, choose 'Record'.

You should now be able to open, play and record in your session as normal.

If your drive will not change to a Record volume, you may need to reformat the drive.

On Mac OSX - use the Disk Utility to reformat the drive as Mac OS Extended.

On WinXP - Right click on the drive in the browser and select 'Format'. File system should be NTFS and you can use the quick format option. All other settings can remain at their defaults.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Audio Record or Playback Volume Error Info

I am having this problem. I have a brand new system that I need to use this week on a job, so I"m a little nervous that I cannot get the drive to work: I have an Apple Powerbook G4, an MBox factory that shipped w ProTools 6.7, DV Toolkit that shipped with v6.9, and Glyph GT050 250GB firewire drive. When I try to make a new session, it tells me that my Glyph isn't a valid audio drive. I have uninstalled and reinstalled ProTools, and reformatted the drive (once journaled once not journaled). In the workspace, it doesn't allow me to change it to 'R'. Prior to installing DV Toolkit and using the ilok (for the first time), ProTools did open, using my internal drive. Now that I have installed the DV Toolkit, and am trying to use the firewire drive, it doesn't let me make a new session b/c neither of my drives (internal or firewire) are not valid audio drives. Why is this, and how can I remedy this?

Thanks,
Inky
Old 07-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Avid

Have you repaired permissions on your primary drive yet? It is recommended (strongly!) that you repair permissions any time you install new software or update your OS.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:03 AM

I haven't repaired permissions - I'm not sure what this means...can you please advise? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Avid

Lauch the Disk Utility located at MacHD>Applications>Utilities. Select your primary OSX hard drive in the left hand panel, click on the 'First Aid' tab, then on the button in the lower left that says 'Repair Disk Permissions'.

Also keep in mind that you can use Google, the Apple website or the search function right here on the DUC to search for specific information on almost anything.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:12 AM

Currently, Protools is working without the DV Toolkit installed. Tomorrow, I will attempt to install the DV Toolkit and then I will repair permissions as you recommend (thanks for the instruction, I did also find it on the apple site). I will let you know if this does the trick in my case.

Thanks,
Inky
Old 07-14-2005, 04:00 PM

How the hell do you start a new topic?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:20 AM

Today, I installed DVToolkit and ProTools 6.9 (which was required when I installed from this 6.9 CD - I originally purchased 6.7 and updated via the web downloads - that worked fine...), and now when I open the session my drives are not valid record or playback drives again. So then, I repaired permissions and still my drives are unusable. What next? Please help, I need to use this system today.

Thanks,
Inky
Old 07-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Avid

Inky - did you try changing them to 'record' volumes in the Workspace window in Pro Tools (Windows>Show Workspace)?

Audiowiz - you can start a new topic by clicking on the "Post" link toward the top of the main forum page.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:54 PM

Yes, I did try that and it didn't fix the problem, BUT... I finally talked with tech support today, and they helped me realize that I had upgraded my ProTools to version 6.9.2 (from the web update I downloaded), yet I was then trying to install DV Toolkit from the CD that came with it, which was only version 6.9. (Duh!) Apparently, that was the main cause of my problem. Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate the assistance in getting my system up and running today.

Thanks again,
Inky
Closed Thread