Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 AM

Default 6+2 Quicktime Deliverable Spec Help

Hi All!

Sorry for the basic question... This used to be easy in QT Pro, but I haven't had anyone ask for files like this since QT went away. For the last several years I've just been turning in the audio files separately and it gets married to picture somewhere down the line.

The contractual delivery spec from the distribution company requires SMPTE layout 5.1 (as opposed to PT's Film layout) on chs. 1-6 and then LtRt on chs. 7/8 embedded in the Master QT Movie.

How do you folks go about this without QT Pro?

Also, Is this something I should marry to the master quicktime myself? Or should I hand files to the video editor to do this. I'm not sure I trust him, because sync is my responsibility, yet I don't want to do anything to affect the master picture.

Sorry again... new workflow for me.

Thanks in advance!

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 AM

Default Re: 6+2 Quicktime Deliverable Spec Help

You can still get QT 7

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl923?locale=en_US

But in the last years I have switched to TImefactory II which allows you to put your mono surround files in order and make an interleaved file. Also, had a couple of distributors ask for .caf files, so it's easy to provide it that way.

http://www.zynaptiq.com/timefactoryii/
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 AM

Thanks for this Tom!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM

Thank you, Tom!

This will be perfect. I tried to re-purchase a QT Pro license, but they don't sell them anymore. Timefactory looks great.

Have a great day!

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 02-07-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixboy bob View Post
Hi All!

Sorry for the basic question... This used to be easy in QT Pro, but I haven't had anyone ask for files like this since QT went away. For the last several years I've just been turning in the audio files separately and it gets married to picture somewhere down the line.

The contractual delivery spec from the distribution company requires SMPTE layout 5.1 (as opposed to PT's Film layout) on chs. 1-6 and then LtRt on chs. 7/8 embedded in the Master QT Movie.

How do you folks go about this without QT Pro?

Also, Is this something I should marry to the master quicktime myself? Or should I hand files to the video editor to do this. I'm not sure I trust him, because sync is my responsibility, yet I don't want to do anything to affect the master picture.

Sorry again... new workflow for me.

Thanks in advance!

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
PT does actually export SMPTE channel order. It's only film order internally. Video editors do this all the time. If I'm asked to do it, I use Premiere Pro
Old 02-07-2018, 03:15 PM

Thanks, Tom.