Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-21-2017, 02:33 AM

Default "mix knob" distorting sound

Hello :)

Seeking wisdom from Mbox Users. I'm having some confusions around the "mix knob" on the mbox2

At the moment I am mastering my tracks and referencing to other artists' mixes.

When I play skrillex - bangarang, for example, on Youtube, with the "mix" knob and the "monitor" knob all the way to the right, It doesnt peak or become distorted, it just gets louder and remains clear.

When I download that exact youtube video at the highest quality of like 50mb, and play it in Reaper, or VLC or any media player at 100% Volume, with the volume (monitor), and the mix knob all the way to the right like before, it becomes all distorted and peaks.

I noticed the same thing with radiohead and atoms for peace. All their videos on youtube sound lovely at full volume with the mix knob all the way to the right, but on my computer, even official .flacs become completely distorted.

Regarding the mix knob, the AVID forums say "When you listen to it fully to the left, you are listening to the audio that is coming in, in real time, when it is always to the right you are listening to the audio that is coming through the computer"
So... Is it because firefox has no inputs? OR something? Eh im so confused man.

I guess my question is, when im mixing/mastering should I be making my Master sound clear at FULL VOLUME, with the mix knob all the way to the right? Or keep it back to the left? And Where abouts from, 7pm to 5am (on the knob) should I be keeping it for mixing if not all the way to the right? All the way to the left creates dead silence.

Last edited by dekker462; 12-21-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: extra info