Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2002, 02:07 AM

Default Mic Dilemma

Ok, this is my situation. I live in an apartment. I'm in the process of setting my Digi 001 system up. I want to be able to record vocals here. My only problem is if I get a large condenser mic, I am so afraid of getting all the unwanted noise of my neighbors recorded on my tracks. Is there a mic that I should get that could eliminate some of the noise or will I have to try to get some sort of noise reduction solution happening? I don't want to get too deep because, well....I'm in an apartment...ya' know? So I guess I'm looking for the best way to record demo vocals in my bathroom spending the least amount of money and it sounds good! That's it. Am I asking too much?

Peace!

Hypekeez [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2002, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Mic Dilemma

A small diaphram mic sill not solve your problem. Research and study the pick up patterns of microphones to get a better understanding of how they work, and do some isolation in a closet of other available space that you can use as a vocal booth.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:34 AM

Check out the reviews on the Rode NTK at www.rodemicrophones.com and www.emusician.com and then see if you can demo one somewhere. I'm loving the two we bought so far for this purpose. 385.00 from www.bpmmusic.com Not sure if they are selling them for that anymore as they were getting alot of flack from other dealers. 34.00 for the shockmount also. Definitely get a good pop filter like that Stedman 101 metal screen. These mics are good at picking up what they should and not picking up what they shouldn't.
Good luck.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2002, 08:40 AM

What to do? Buy an EV RE-20.

Large diaphram dynamic. And alternative (not as fat) would be the high-end Sennheiser.

I forgot the model number...but it's got a sixties look. Very unique mic.

Motown used the RE-1337a (RE-20 predecessor) on all their early vocals.

It requires a really good pre. And, not having to deal with phantom power, the pre can be made sonically superior (transformer units)

Pres...check out single channel MSS-1 Natural Sound Pre-amp http://www.martinsound.com/

Good luck,

(I'm not the only one who likes these EVs- they're practically in every dang radio station of the world)
Old 01-18-2002, 08:45 AM

Many (that's MANY) years ago I got great shiny vocals in the apartment by sticking the singer in the bathroom, facing the closed door singing into a hypercardoid Sennheiser 441 (which I am still using it's indestructible even when exposed to damp vocal booths)

- Sean
Old 01-18-2002, 08:58 AM

FWIW an audiophile mic pres (Telefunken to name one) should be designed to bypass the phantom power circuit/ capacitor- whose job it is to keep the 48v out of the transformer.

...and that's the Sennheiser (441) I was thinking of. Many like the 421.

With a good pre, a 57 can even shine. But, I'd stick with a large diaphram. Shure does have a new large diaphram 'radio' mic that's supposed to be excellent.

Forget the model. Anyway. Here's food for thought.

Here's Sennheiser- http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/p...assicindex.htm
Old 01-18-2002, 10:17 AM

The RE-20 is no match for a good large diaphram condensor. Not only can you use a mic like a TLM-103 on vocals but on many other instruments as well. For broadcasting, I have used U-47, M49 and U-87s and RCA ribbon mics. Howard Stern uses a 103 while Russ Limbaugh has a gold plated 20. If you broadcast on AM, the 20 is widely used. On FM, condensors are very popular.

I don't think I have ever seen an RE-20 on drum overheads...
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:16 AM

I've compared the EV with the 103. I was 'shocked' at how 'equally good' both mics sounded. Amazed actually. There's proximity fx on the EV is all.

A Rode NT-1 was 'defective' by comparison. AT 4030 too bright.

A new RE 20 has gotta be brighter than an old spitter...but who knows?

Anyway, you're in a bright room.

...at least you won't get the bed spring squeeks from down the hall. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Put a 20 through an old API or Neve or Trident pre. And tell em it's a Telefunken ELAM. Now one will doubt you.

Some of those ELAM's are spitters too (and sorely need cleaning) But everyone's afraid of messing with em.

.02 fleas
Old 01-18-2002, 11:59 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>A Rode NT-1 was 'defective' by comparison. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shaggy,
What is up with comparing that cheap Rode NT1 at 199.00 to that 103? Would be better to use the NT1000 or the NTK. Heck if we aren't on a budget here lets throw in a BLUE Kiwi too, with a Brent Averill Neve 1272 Dual Mic pre. Ok that would kick butt in your bathroom. Hea hea.
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2002, 02:52 PM

...just a hound that can't point?