Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2015, 02:13 PM

Default VEPro Question

I know some of you use VEPro to host VST plugins. Will it host both 32 and 64bit VSTs, or is J-Bridge still required for the 32bit ones?

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Re: VEPro Question

Curious also, but from the videos it seems you can run the 32's as well.....VEP5

I am wanting to go back a version or 2 and this might be the golden blessing
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:31 PM

I haven't messed with VEP much since PT and Logic are both 64 bit now, but there used to be 2 versions of VEP server, a 32-bit and 64-bit. I know you could not mix and match 32- and 64-bit plugins in the same instance of VEP, you had to choose the right one for your plugins. Can't remember if there were other limitations or not. There is a 30 day trial of it though, if you have a steinberg elicenser key.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:37 PM

Selling your v4 license?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:56 PM

Not selling one. But FYI, I don't think VEP4 has an AAX version. VEP5 still has the 2 separate 32/64 apps, just checked.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I know some of you use VEPro to host VST plugins. Will it host both 32 and 64bit VSTs, or is J-Bridge still required for the 32bit ones?

Thanks.
VEP Hosts BOTH 32 and 64 bit AU (on Mac) and VST (on PC) plugs. There are 2 separate "Servers" which are launched and where you load your plugs (VIs or with VEP 5 Audio such as AmpliTube). The Vienna Ensemble Pro plug connects to these servers. There are also standalone apps, however these do not connect to the Vienna Ensemble Pro plug in Pro Tools (10 or 11).

Note that on a Mac you cannot load VSTs, and (I believe) on a PC you cannot load AUs. This was confusing from their promo materials.
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG
Old 08-26-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treason View Post
VEP Hosts BOTH 32 and 64 bit AU (on Mac) and VST (on PC) plugs. There are 2 separate "Servers" which are launched and where you load your plugs (VIs or with VEP 5 Audio such as AmpliTube). The Vienna Ensemble Pro plug connects to these servers. There are also standalone apps, however these do not connect to the Vienna Ensemble Pro plug in Pro Tools (10 or 11).

Note that on a Mac you cannot load VSTs, and (I believe) on a PC you cannot load AUs. This was confusing from their promo materials.
Okay, so just to be clear, I can run VEPro inside PT and host either 32 or 64bit VSTs, but I need to select which "server" (whatever that means)? I've never looked at used VEPro, so this is all new to me, and I am just now looking into it. It also looks like it will host VST3 plugs and VI's as well.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Okay, so just to be clear, I can run VEPro inside PT and host either 32 or 64bit VSTs, but I need to select which "server" (whatever that means)? I've never looked at used VEPro, so this is all new to me, and I am just now looking into it. It also looks like it will host VST3 plugs and VI's as well.
VEP "server" is a standalone application that hosts plugins. You load your VST or AU plugins and/or instruments in there, then load the VE Pro plugin in Pro Tools and connect to the "server" app. This sends MIDI from Pro Tools to the VEP server app, and receives audio from the VEP server app. The VEP server app can be run on the same computer as Pro Tools or on a completely separate computer that is on the same local network.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
VEP "server" is a standalone application that hosts plugins. You load your VST or AU plugins and/or instruments in there, then load the VE Pro plugin in Pro Tools and connect to the "server" app. This sends MIDI from Pro Tools to the VEP server app, and receives audio from the VEP server app. The VEP server app can be run on the same computer as Pro Tools or on a completely separate computer that is on the same local network.
Thanks, John. I think I'm going to have to find a "how to" vid to see exactly how this works!

Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I think I have the basic idea now. I've been using Blue Cat Patchwork and/or Reaper to host most of my VSTs and using Jbridge for the 32bit stuff in Patchwork (Reaper creates its own bridge), but both have some limitations. I'm thinking I might want to pick up VEPro...but it is a bit pricey!